Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2004 CLK320.
Am trying to adjust the headlamp height on my Xenon lamps. Any ideas, please.

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Two adjustments...Both are easy to adjust the black hex with a slot in it ...Open the hood and look at the top of headlight. One that is close to the top is for Height..The Lower one is for left to right

·
Registered
2003 CLK 320 Coupe
134 Posts
(Ancient thread resurrection.)

Good, needed, info...

On my bi-xenons, the low beams are pretty much evenly aimed on both sides, height-wise, but the halogen high beams are definitely uneven (a condition--not unlike mis-aligned wheels--that slowly eats away at my sanity). My question is, are the low beams self-adjusting? ...Meaning, if I adjust the height of one of the headlight housings to make the high beams even, will the low beams compensate for this by themselves, or will they now be off (which would be even worse)?

PS: The car has never been hit, or anything like that...

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,038 Posts
There is no separate adjustment for the high-beams. BTW, if you have halogen high-beams, you don't have bi-xenons; you have standard xenon low beams only using a reflector headlight. The bi-xenons use a projector headlight and a shutter that adds a cut-off for the low beam and is removed for full spread light on the high-beam mode.

·
Registered
2003 CLK 320 Coupe
134 Posts
Well, yes and no... The outer headlights are definitely HID projectors. The inner headlights are halogen reflectors. When set to "Auto"...upon starting the car...the HID projectors ignite and then dip and raise their level, in--what seems to me to be--a self-leveling routine. When switching to high beams, the projectors raise to a higher level AND the inner halogens come on as well, to form a combined HID/halogen (very bright) high beam. To your credit, though, I don't know why they call this setup "bi-xenon"...it does make it slightly confusing. LOL

·
Registered
2003 CLK 320 Coupe
134 Posts
Also, I know there's no separate adjustment for the high beams. Afterall, there's only one headlight housing per side... What I'm asking is, if I adjust the height of the WHOLE HEADLIGHT HOUSING (to even out the high beams, in my case) will the low beams self-compensate and stay even?

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,038 Posts
OK, that is the Bi-Xenon system. You have two things going on - auto-leveling and the low-beam diffuser. In low-beam mode, there is a diffuser (i.e. shutter) that is mechanically lowered inside the HID projector assembly to cut-off the light's top projection angle. In high-beam mode, the shutter moves out of the way to increase the vertical angle of the light. The auto-leveling system has sensors that determine if the rear of the vehicle is sitting proportionally lower than the front (i.e. with a load) so that the headlight angle can be adjusted downward to compensate.

Using the manual height adjustment screws on the headlamps make "relative" changes. In other words, the auto-leveling system is always relative to the manual adjustment. if your headlights are manually adjusted to be too high or too low, the auto leveling son;t correct for that.

·
19,038 Posts
Sorry about the typo - that was won't correct. Basically, if your beam pattern is too high or too low you CAN change it with the manual adjuster. The auto-leveler won't override that. The leveler is just relative to the manual adjustment.

Here's an example. Let's say you adjust your headlights to hit your garage door at the 20 inch mark and all is great. Then you take a trip to Costco and load the trunk full of beer. All that extra weight now your headlights pointing toward the sky and blinding other drivers, right? No! The auto-levelers sense the difference and will lower the beam angle to bring it back down to match your 20-inch setting. Of course there is a limit to how much the leveler system can adjust, so enough beer might still have your headlights too high, but within reason, you should be fine.

·
Registered
MB S320 W140 - MB 300SEL W126 - MB 450SE W116 - Dodge Viper GTS - Cadillac Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Digging up the thread

Sorry for dragging this up again but i seem to have a similar problem. low beams are fine, self leveling works but the hi beams are pointing to tops of trees, dont illuminate the road at all. have tried manually adjusting them down but its still not doing the job. any ideas? its a '03 w209 clk500.

·
Registered
2004 CLK 320
5 Posts
Hello everyone.
My car is a 2005 CLK 320.
The low beam driver side points low and to the left.
The low beam passenger side points low and to the right.

I tried to turn the adjustment screws but nothing happens. The screws feel loose.
Are there parts that need to be replaced? fixed? lubricated?

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 clk350 convertible
14 Posts
Headlight adjustment ?

Our 2007 has the bi-xenon, the low beams seem to be low. When you adjust the lights will the auto lever take the light back to the same setting and not give more light down road on the low setting?

·
19,038 Posts
No, the auto-level is "relative" to the manual setting. in other words, if you load up the trunk so the leveling system need to drop the beams 5 degrees, then it's 5 degrees from "normal", and "normal" is based on the manual setting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2008 CLK550 has a sensor clamped to the sway bar on the front passenger side.
I replaced the control arms, tie rod ends and sway bar links, and I had to remove this sensor to facilitate the repair. I put this sensor back on its wear mark on the arm, but got the "knee" backwards. The arm on the sensor should be near horizontal and I had the knee backward, so this arm was near vertical. I shaded the light sensor by throwing a T shirt on the windshield where the rear view mirror is mounted to get the AUTO headlights to come on in the daylight. I noticed that with the level sensor arm in the horizontal position, I could affect the headlight height on my garage door. Moving the arm up raises both headlights. Be careful not to aim too high, as the Bi-Xenon lamps will cause oncoming drivers eyeballs to burst into flames.

·
19,038 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

There are two of those level sensors on the car - the one you found in the front, and also one in the rear. The headlight controller reads the difference in angles between the two so it can adjust the headlight aim based on how low the rear of the car is riding. These need to be installed correctly and level. To adjust the base angle of the headlights, there is a worm screw on each lamp assembly, much like with any car.

·
Registered
2008 CLK-550
14 Posts
I just had the serpentine belt and A/C compressor replaced on my 2008 CLK550. A few days after the car was returned from the shop, I was driving at night and noticed that my headlamps were pointing downward and visibility was limited. I contacted the shop and they said they didn't think that anything they did would cause the headlamps to be aimed low or the bi-xenon self-leveling to not operate. They are suggesting that I bring the car in and they will manually level the lights with adjustment screws.
Advice? I'd rather not take the car to a dealer as they always upsell me on stuff.

·
19,038 Posts
I suspect they may have needed to remove the front anti-sway bar to replace the compressor. The level sensors for the auto-leveling HID headlights are attached to that, They likely disturbed them. They need to fix that -- for FREE.

·
Registered
2008 CLK-550
14 Posts
I suspect they may have needed to remove the front anti-sway bar to replace the compressor. The level sensors for the auto-leveling HID headlights are attached to that, They likely disturbed them. They need to fix that -- for FREE.
Thanks for responding.
I was at the shop this morning and they put the car up on a lift and confirmed that both sensors were in place but the lights still remain in a fixed, downward position. The mechanic tried to reset the system using a scanner but no luck. He then used a screwdriver and adjusted the lights upward as high as they would go. As I watched the car being driven, I noted that the cornering lights were working ok.
So, it just seems that the Bi-xenon system is not performing the adjusting on start-up.
I don't want to take the car to a dealer as I know it will be hundreds of dollars as they replace one element after another.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts