Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my fog lights put in this week and I am getting some new headlights put on soon also. Since the bulbs in the foglights are a pain in the ass to change, I am going to buy new bulbs for all of the lights. Question is, what halogen bulb would be the brightest for both head and fog lights? I wouldn't mind if they had a hint of an HID look to them, but I do not want blue cheap looking lights.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not sure what others will say because this seems to be a very subjective matter. I just bought Philips Blue Vision H7 headlights. They come with matching city lights. The name is very misleading as they are NOT blue ricer headlights. Neither are the city lights. The city lights are a huge improvement over stock, pretty much white with a HINT of blue (think factory xenon). The headlights match the city lights perfectly. They seem to be a little bit brighter than stock, no more nasty yellow, and from certain angles you will see some very SUBTLE blue reflections within the headlight reflector housing. The light output is not blue.

So basically, color wise, they are pretty much the same as 4000k Xenon. A bit brighter than stock. I've read that they're almost identical to PIAA Xtreme whites, just a hell of a lot cheaper. I bought mine from a British seller on ebay for 15 GBP. Can't seem to find them in the US. They are made in Germany.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Philips Blue Vision H7's seem like they are exactly the type of bulbs I am looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If you want to not have to deal with bulbs that are a pain to change, don't use those! All of the overdriven and blue-tinted bulbs have a much shorter life span, because life span is a tradeoff with brightness. They make long-life bulbs, but they are quite a bit dimmer. Here's some sample numbers:

H1 Bulb Variant Output Lumens Life Hours
Standard (plain) 1550 lm 650 hr
Long Life 1460 lm 1200 hr
Plus+30 High Efficacy 1680 lm 400 hr
Plus+50 Ultra High Efficacy 1750 lm 350 hr
Blue glass "Extra white" 1380 lm 250 hr

Unfortunately headlights are one spot where there is really no free lunch.

Now, since they are foglights, which you should only be using in fog anyway, it might not matter as 250 hours might be years of use. Just keep it in mind.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have a really good point there. Since all the bulbs are a pain to change, especially the fog light bulbs. I don't want to have to keep on changing them all of the time. I might have to meet some wehre in the middle, not too dull, but not extra bright ones.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i found myself changing both twice in the past 3 years....but then again i always drive with my parking and fog lights, pos 2, on. I just changed the parking lights to amber, i wouldnt mind investing in some amber fog light bulbs....
any ideas where to get those?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your lucky you have the patience to change them out. I got too fed up with trying to switch out the old foglights with the new ones so now I have to have someone put them on Wednesday. Wayyyy too cramped!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting them put on Wednesday after work by a friends friend that works at the MB bodyshop. He said he would do it for $40 so I don't want to frustrate myself again for that. Ill post up pics as soon as they're on. I hope they look a little better.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am kind of excited because I've had them laying around for awhile now waiting to put them on. Now I guess I better get to ordering some new headlights to go with the fogs.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hahahhaha,I'm trying too. Got the fog lights, oirdering the headlights, and after that I think I'm going to do the wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts