Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
SLK230 + C230
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to get some bright blue 8000k HID's, what kind of kit would I need to get inorder for them to work. They would be for a 1998 Mercedes SLK230. Please help me out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Plenty of HID conversion kits advertised. HIDs are not recommended for the standard headlight because they spray light everywhere and you will likely get booked by the police. You should use projector lights designed for HIDs to focus the beam properly.
For standard housing use H7 bulbs, for the projectors H1.
8000K bulbs are also too blue - you won't see a thing in the rain. I use 4300K HIDs and most use no more than 6000K.
Just my humble opinion though.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes 230 SLK
351 Posts
the HID kits actually do work with the std headlights pretty ok,at least for the SLK. I converted them 4 years ago, got never stopped by police or flashed at by angry motorists. The part numbers for the OEM HID lense and std lense are even identical, plus the OEM assembly has a glare shield already built in.
4000-6000K is best as said above. 8000 will not only attract police but also reduce illumination of the road (at least for the human eye), and increase glare in rain or fog.
I bought two kits for std and high beam but that's a luxury choice if you don't use high beams very often. I also used existing mounting points for the ignitors aka burners, some guys drill new holes. Also keep in mind that you need to cut one (or two) holes into the back cap of the headlights for the extra HID cables that go from/to the ignitors. Lastly, nothing lasts forever: one ignitor failed after 2 years, the bulbs last for about 2 depending on use (e.g., day light driving mode yes/no)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts