Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Could anybody tell me how to replace headlight bulb on 2001 Mercedes Benz C320? I thought it would be very easy but seems complicated!!!

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Rad

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Assuming you have halogen headlights and not HID/Xenons, the bulb is an H7. As Shumicat stated, instructions are in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can download a PDF copy here from MBUSA: 2001 C-Class Owner's Manual

FYI, replacing the bulb isn't "easy" but it's not really that difficult. The hardest part is that you really can't see what you are doing. You may find that on the left (US driver's) side, removing the filler neck for the washer fluid reservoir helps (one screw holds it to the radiator support, then you pull it out of its grommet on the reservoir). Oh, and you may as well replace them in pairs to retain even lighting. Besides, if you don't the other side will go out very soon, I promise!

After you remove the plastic cover on the headlamp assembly, you unplug the wiring harness from the back of the bulb (look at the new bulb to see how it attaches to the conductors) and then you have to release the spring clip holding the bulb in place. It's sort of like opening a safety pin. The clip is permanently attached, so no worries about losing it once released. When you put the new bulb in, keep your fingers off of the glass. if you touch it, wife it clean. Oils from your skin will overheat the glass and cause it to break when the bulb is illuminated. When you install the new bulb, it only goes in one way. There is a small tab that fits into a slot on its mount. Make sure you feel for that and rotate the bulb until it seats properly, If not, you the beam pattern will be all wrong. Also, it will be more difficult to close the metal clip that old the bulb in place.

·
Registered
2001 C320 W203
576 Posts
I've got a malfunction today saying "Right side low beam head lamp". It doesn't glow anymore.

I don't need to remove the headlight assembly in order to replace the bulb, rite? Any tools required for replacing the bulb? And, what bulb should I buy? Any spec? (I am on NOT on the HID/Xeon)

Assuming you have halogen headlights and not HID/Xenons, the bulb is an H7. As Shumicat stated, instructions are in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can download a PDF copy here from MBUSA: 2001 C-Class Owner's Manual

FYI, replacing the bulb isn't "easy" but it's not really that difficult. The hardest part is that you really can't see what you are doing. You may find that on the left (US driver's) side, removing the filler neck for the washer fluid reservoir helps (one screw holds it to the radiator support, then you pull it out of its grommet on the reservoir). Oh, and you may as well replace them in pairs to retain even lighting. Besides, if you don't the other side will go out very soon, I promise!

After you remove the plastic cover on the headlamp assembly, you unplug the wiring harness from the back of the bulb (look at the new bulb to see how it attaches to the conductors) and then you have to release the spring clip holding the bulb in place. It's sort of like opening a safety pin. The clip is permanently attached, so no worries about losing it once released. When you put the new bulb in, keep your fingers off of the glass. if you touch it, wife it clean. Oils from your skin will overheat the glass and cause it to break when the bulb is illuminated. When you install the new bulb, it only goes in one way. There is a small tab that fits into a slot on its mount. Make sure you feel for that and rotate the bulb until it seats properly, If not, you the beam pattern will be all wrong. Also, it will be more difficult to close the metal clip that old the bulb in place.

·
Registered
2001 C240, 1984 300D
951 Posts
It's an H7 bulb and it's hard to improve on Rodney's answer in post #3 in this thread. It's also explained on page 328 in my manual, but it doesn't add any more than Rodney's answer. There is a picture that may be a little helpful.

It's not really difficult, but you can't see what you're doing. You have to take a good look and then try to remove and replace things by feel. Needlenose pliers may help when fiddling with the clip.

·
Registered
2001 C320 W203
576 Posts
Thanks all. It's done successfully! Just found that the previous owner has changed the aftermarket headlight assembly so the metal clip style is differnt from what I have seen in the forum, but I can still manage it properly.

·
Registered
Mercedes C180 - Year 1999
13 Posts
I too was changing a W202 C-Class 2005 year this past weekend and found it difficult, after making no progress I lowered my phone down took a photo and that revealed all. The bulb does not rotate, there is a plastic black ring around the bulb that rotates and that releases the bulb.

So steps are:
1) Pull out the connector, it comes straight off with force - straight back away from the bulb.
2) Find the black plastic ring around the back of the bulb and rotate counterclockwise.
3) The bulb will pop out very easily once this is done.
4) Replace the bulb, twist black ring clockwise to lock bulb in.
5) Replace connector on the back of the bulb.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts