Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Open the hood (duh!)

2. Check on right and left hand corner. There are two plastic plugs with wires. One plug connects the headlight unit to the wiring harness and the other plug connects the corner lamps to the wiring harness. Remove both plugs. It is easy to reinstall the plugs, there is a blank "plug" that is used to "center" the harness so that it is properly oriented.

3. To remove the corner lamps you need to squeeze a plastic clip that holds the corner lamp assembly in place. Take a look at the first picture. It is looking at the left marker, from the top. You can see the electric plug connector (yellow, on top) and you can also see the clip that you need to squeeze. Pic. #2 shows the left marker out. The yellow connector, with pins, is where the wiring harness plugs into. The other "thing" is the clip that oyu must squeeze to get the left marker out.

4. Once the corner light is out, you will see two metal bolts/screws. Look at pic. #3. These two screws must be removed. They take a size 8mm wrench (unless someone removed and repalced tghe old bolts with a different size).

5. Look at pictures 4 and 5. In these pictures you can see the third screw holding the headlight assemblies in place. On the right hand side (pic 4)the screw/bolt is right next to the hron assembly. On the left side (pic 5) the air intake snorkel partially covers the bolt. You should remove the air itake snorkel. Both of these bolts are 8mm.

6. Remove the bolts. You are almost done. Now remove the two black top plastic holders. These are the ones on the radiator support assembly. They twist off. If they were installed correctly it should be easy to twist them from left to right (as you face the engine bay). You may need pliers to remove them if they are too tight or cannot be easily twisted off. If you break them, no biggie, you can buy them at the dealer, they are cheap (I had to replace mine).

7. You are almost done. The only thing left to remove are the headlight wiper arms and the bottom cover plates. I don't have pictures to illustrate the following steps.

8. Headlight wiper arms can be "pulled" down so the arm assembly is parallel with the top of the bumper. There is one nut holding the arm assembly to the motor shaft. Undo it. It is a size 8mm.

9. Pull wiper arm assembly off the motor shaft (after removing nut). Pull away alll the little wiper fluid hoses.

10. Next you are ready to remove the bottom covers. There is one screw/bolt that is easy to see on picture 6. Remove it. The other screw/bolt can be seen in picture 7. It is at the bottom corner.

11. Once you remove these two bolts, you can remove the covers. Take care, specially in the portion that is right at the corners (not the section closest to the radaitor). They must be slid out and care must be taken not to twist them out of shape.

12. The headlights are now ready to be removed. You can nudge them out or wiggle them out. Just be gentle and patient. They will come out.

13. Once the headlight assemblies are out, it should be easy to figure how to remove the "doors" or whatever those things are called. Just remember, you must first remove the headlight wiper motors.

14. The last pic is of my 300TE with the Euro lights and the new bottom covers (w/o the holes for the wiper motor shafts). Doesn't "Alice" look great? (Alice is the 300TE's "name.") She just turned 17 this past thursday. Mama Mercedes gave birth to Alice on 04.06.1989. I wonder how old 17 years is, in car "years." [:D]

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Headlight assembly removal...for Oysterbenz, et al.

Correct pic. #4.

Below is the correct picture #4, the one showing the bolt ont he right hand side, closest to the two horns.

Sorry about that.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about some help for me now... [?]

In addition to "Alice" I also own a 1998 E320 (Orson).

The light on the center A/C vent wheel does not light up. (The center A/C vent on the W124 has a similar marker light).

How do I remove the center vent cover/wheel so that I can put in a new light bulb?

Thanks.

·
Registered
250D Sportline (W124) from 1991
242 Posts
5. Look at pictures 4 and 5. In these pictures you can see the third screw holding the headlight assemblies in place. On the right hand side (pic 4)the screw/bolt is right next to the hron assembly. On the left side (pic 5) the air intake snorkel partially covers the bolt. You should remove the air itake snorkel. Both of these bolts are 8mm.
I'm trying to remove my left headlight and this is the best DIY thread I could find for for the purpose.
My doubt is how do we remove the intake snorkel?
I search and search and just couldn't find how to do it and I was unable to remove the headlight beacuse of that bloody bolt/screw.

Helllllllllllllllllllllllp!! :crybaby2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts