Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried searching and came up with a whole bunch of people updating their headlights... I have this car whose headlights are aiming at the ground. I know the motors are working fine because when I start the car up, the headlights do go up and down. I am however worried about the night time visibility which is basically very bad. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
Anyone will shed some light to this problem?

I m in the same boat, replaced prefacelift headlamps with the facelift, now once stationary it ok, start drive and the light points somethere to the grond so its dark like in the hole....

I heard you need to swap some pins in hte connector, but anyone knows exactly what to do?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
It sounds to me as if the level sensing unit is bad. I don't know much about it, because they don't seem to fail often - but there is a gyro that senses level and controls the aiming of the lights, and that would seem to be the problem.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skylaw, thank you for responding! Do you know where this gyro might be located? This also happened in my M3 and this sensor was connected to a lower control arm and depending on the pitch would lower the lights etc... But I am clueless in this car. Any help would be appreicated!

·
Registered
2003 S600, 2002 C320 Wagon
156 Posts
I have tried searching and came up with a whole bunch of people updating their headlights... I have this car whose headlights are aiming at the ground. I know the motors are working fine because when I start the car up, the headlights do go up and down. I am however worried about the night time visibility which is basically very bad. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
There is a Headlamp Range Adjustment (HRA) control module that takes input from the pneumatic suspension control modules, ABS/ASP control modules, and headlamp range adjustment motors. The HRA activates the headlamp range adjustment motors according to vehicle status and position. The service manual points to it (HRA) being on the centre line of the car under the very back of the hood. The drawing of it is a flat square box with a multi-pin connector coming out one side. There are probably two screw tabs holding it in place. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anybody found the module? Problem solved by replacing it? I have a 2000 S500 with the factory Xenon headlamps. Both are pointing to the ground and night visibility is cr_p.

Thans for any help,
Jason

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
Guys, are you talking about projector style headlamps, or pre-facelift ones?

if projector typo, then you dont need to look for any modules, the headlamp reflector is rusty, and not giving any light to the lens. therefore this effect of headlamp aiming too low. and no light.

removing the headlamp unit, taking the glass out, and getting to projrctor iself, you have to take it apart, and sand down the reflector, spray it chrome paint. and then you will have your light back.

I did mine not long time ago, that happend is I installed a xenon kit, and still didnt get any light, so was thinking about self leveling and modules and the rest, but took the lamp out, looked at it- and reflector is rusty. its black instead of the mirror finish, so it not reflecting any light.
It took me one evening to do both lamps. and now its super bright.

hope that helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys, are you talking about projector style headlamps, or pre-facelift ones?

if projector typo, then you dont need to look for any modules, the headlamp reflector is rusty, and not giving any light to the lens. therefore this effect of headlamp aiming too low. and no light.

removing the headlamp unit, taking the glass out, and getting to projrctor iself, you have to take it apart, and send down the reflector, spray it chrome paint. and then you will have your light back.

I did mine not long time ago, that happend is I installed a xenon kit, and still didnt get any light, so was thinking about self leveling and modules and the rest, but took the lamp out, looked at it- and reflector is rusty. its black instead of the mirror finish, so it not reflecting any light.
It took me one evening to do both lamps. and now its super bright.

hope that helps
Well since I said "I have a 2000 S500 with the factory Xenon headlamps." this would lead a educated man to the correct conclusion, that no I do not have projector headlamps.
How in the good lords name do I "send down the reflector, spray it chrome paint. and then you will have your light back." ?
You are so confused that I don't even know where to start with you. But I will give it a try because this problem is somewhat prevalent on the W220's I've seen.
You are talking about dismantling a projector and painting its reflector, but what I think you mean to say is painting the reflector in the early style (pre-facelift) W220.
However, I have looked into the reflector housing from the front and there is NO rust. This isn’t some Yougo or 60's Skoda we are talking about. It’s a ***** Mercedes. Not a rust bucket.
Now it is possible that some could rust. Those of you with rusted headlights please chime in here. But I just have not seen it in my region (Oahu Hawaii) and is not the problem in my S500.
The problem is that there is an abundance of light out to about 6 feet in front of the car, then nothing. Like maybe the motors/control module have failed and caused the lights to point down.
So does anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
Well since I said "I have a 2000 S500 with the factory Xenon headlamps." this would lead a educated man to the correct conclusion, that no I do not have projector headlamps.
How in the good lords name do I "sand down the reflector, spray it chrome paint. and then you will have your light back." ?
You are so confused that I don't even know where to start with you. But I will give it a try because this problem is somewhat prevalent on the W220's I've seen.
You are talking about dismantling a projector and painting its reflector, but what I think you mean to say is painting the reflector in the early style (pre-facelift) W220.
However, I have looked into the reflector housing from the front and there is NO rust. This isn’t some Yougo or 60's Skoda we are talking about. It’s a **** Mercedes. Not a rust bucket.
Now it is possible that some could rust. Those of you with rusted headlights please chime in here. But I just have not seen it in my region (Oahu Hawaii) and is not the problem in my S500.
The problem is that there is an abundance of light out to about 6 feet in front of the car, then nothing. Like maybe the motors/control module have failed and caused the lights to point down.
So does anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

Go **** the tree. xenon is impossible without a projector , so if its bi xenon genuine headlamp you have a projector.

next, if it is a projector on yours, you wont see a reflector from outside, you will see a lense.

if you think ,Mercedes is not a rust bucket then you wrong.

And I didnt mean the reflector on early ones pre-face lift headlamps. I mean the projector typo what is used for xenon.

and I just trying to help. so if you dont need advice, thats fine with me.

now as you saying you got very little light- I m telling you there is a problem. You can call it not a rust- but burned reflective layer. you now will be much happier that you have a MERCEDES.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S500, 2001 ML320 Sport, 2003 C240, 2003 CLK500, 2005 E320 4-Matic, 2007 ML 350 4-matic
82 Posts
I tried to get this addressed with my mechanic

I have a 2000 S500, and although mine comes on about 2 seconds after I have activate the ignition, it does not do an auto-level up and down test like the rest of my cars. I don't know if it's doing it prior to it igniting the headlights, or if I have a bad auto level module, but believe it or not, my mechanic just aimed the headlights at the proper height

It does irritate me that it doesnt go up and down, and I'm pretty sure it's not because on my other cars i can literally hear/feel the motors of the headlights going up and down, so to save cost, my mechanic recommended that I just let it be that they're "permanently" aimed, because if I were to investigate further, they'd have to open up bumpers, to check the "auto level sensors."

All I have done so far is replace the fuses for "headlamp range adjustment" but that did not do anything.

My model is 2000 S500, so I know the xenons came standard vs. it being optional on S430, so this car definitely came with the auto level equipment, I just don't know why it's not going up and down...

Any help on this topic would be awesome. :surrender:

·
Registered
2000 S500, 2001 ML320 Sport, 2003 C240, 2003 CLK500, 2005 E320 4-Matic, 2007 ML 350 4-matic
82 Posts
Has anyone found an explanation for this yet? I've been searching online everywhere.... cannot find anything.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm back but I stopped caring for a while since I picked up yet more toys to play with. I would really like to see this cars headlights not point to the ground lol.

I start the car, I see the lights level, all they are doing wrong is leveling too low.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts