Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320 Silver
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have the new style halogen projectors.

I bought a H7 HID kit which was basically a D2S rebased to H7 bulb... and when it was installed, the guy told me the bulb didn't fit properly, like it would mount in, but the cover that goes over the bulb to hold it in place couldn't hold the bulb apparently, so he had to GLUE it in place? (i was thinking wtf)....but it seemed to do the trick when I saw the headlight... it was only when driving at night time that I noticed how the level of the headlights sucked! They were pointing towards the ground, I read the previous posts regarding adjusting the projectors, but no matter how I turn, I don't see a big difference (it still point towards the bottom).

I was wondering if it is a problem with the headlight, or because the installer had to glue the bulb in place so the projector itself doesn't really have any movement? SO basically, does the glue around the bulb affect the projector?

Please help.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
I think your first reaction of WTF regarding glue and mounting a light bulb might be the correct one.

The reflector housing should be free floating inside the shell BUT depending on what your installer glued to what it's possible that something is affected. A picture would be helpful here. It's also possible that while glueing the bulb in (ludicrous thought to begin with) he seperated the adjust mechanism (screws) from the (teeth) on the reflector and they aren't actually engaging inside. I think the fix is to take the entire housing apart and re-engage the parts which someone else on the board has done in the past.

You are using both adjustment screws? IT requires both screws to affect the headlight aiming.

Lastly, the rebased bulb is probably physically in the wrong place in the reflector. since the reflectors are designed for specific bulb types in specific orientations and locations then perhaps that's also affecting the light you are getting. The headlights have very limited adjustment available and if the bulb is located so that all the light is being thrown down then your headlight might not be able to compensate. There are plenty of articles on the web that detail headlight design and explain why rebased bulbs often have poor results from a technical perspective. I know others will disagree with this, I'm just offering ONE opinion based on what I've read and experienced. Feel free to disagree.

Those are my best guesses but obviously more information and pictures would help. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts