Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the headlamps timeout when left to manual ON? I did drain the battery by leaving them ON by mistake, but used to leave them ON all the time!!! I suspect that the dealer reverted a programmed timeout during the last service.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2007 R350
284 Posts
I leave mine in auto so it doesn't matter. Did you not get a warning chime that your lights were on when you removed the key?

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,249 Posts
Does anyone know if the headlamps timeout when left to manual ON? I did drain the battery by leaving them ON by mistake, but used to leave them ON all the time!!! I suspect that the dealer reverted a programmed timeout during the last service.
I was sure that if the headlights are left in "on" not auto, it would go to parking ligts after the engine is turned off.

I'll check tonight and let you know.

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I get the warning. I drive most of the time at Manual ON because I use the high beams a lot and they do not work in AUTO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes I get the warning. I drive most of the time at Manual ON because I use the high beams a lot and they do not work in AUTO.
I always leave at auto along with my wiper also at auto (I position). When I leave at "ON" and exit the car, there is warning sound and stayed at headlamp (not park lamp). I was afraid to drain the battery to give it a try to see if it shuts off by itself.

Also, I remember that teh high beam works when it's in Auto. I just did that the other night.

My car was updated with newest software by MB dealer.

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure that the high beam works in AUTO? This is a well documented design flaw and is reflected in the user manual. But if MB made a sw update to fix this, I'll request it to the dealer. What year is your R?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you sure that the high beam works in AUTO? This is a well documented design flaw and is reflected in the user manual. But if MB made a sw update to fix this, I'll request it to the dealer. What year is your R?
I just checked... the high beam works in Auto. Even if the headlight is off during day time, i flash with high beam, it works also. My R350 is 2006 model.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,249 Posts
My headlights will turn off if the car is turned off, and it dosen't matter if the switch is in "Auto" or "On"
The highbeam works also in auto if the auto function has turned the lights on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My headlights will turn off if the car is turned off, and it dosen't matter if the switch is in "Auto" or "On"
The highbeam works also in auto if the auto function has turned the lights on.
I noticed yours is a 2008 model. I have 2006. I believe you can adjust the delay in "AUTO" mode to delay form 0 to 60 seconds after your car is off. I am not so sure in "on" mode. Will try it tonight.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1,249 Posts
I noticed yours is a 2008 model. I have 2006. I believe you can adjust the delay in "AUTO" mode to delay form 0 to 60 seconds after your car is off. I am not so sure in "on" mode. Will try it tonight.
My 2008 does as follows.

Flashing the high beams; Always dosen't matter of the headlight switch position.

It will turn the headlights off in all positions, "Auto" or "On"

If the "Auto" has switched the lights on, the highbeam works as if the switch was in "On"

The front fogs are used as coming home feature and has a delay if the light sensor found that it is dark outside, also work if you open the car when it is dark.

I'm not sure of the features on cars without the front fogs.

·
Registered
2006 R350 Silver on Black
19 Posts
Check one more for me.....2006 R350 and the high beams work on AUTO and they time out in Manual mode.
Good luck

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer got the delay fixed. However, they said they cannot get the high beams to work in AUTO (they can only flash). There might be a different behavior for Canadian models, which has different rules for daylights. I noticed that most poeple who answered that they could get the high beams to work in AUTO were from the USA. Can a Canadian subscriber make the check please?

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1,249 Posts
The dealer got the delay fixed. However, they said they cannot get the high beams to work in AUTO (they can only flash). There might be a different behavior for Canadian models, which has different rules for daylights. I noticed that most poeple who answered that they could get the high beams to work in AUTO were from the USA. Can a Canadian subscriber make the check please?
I know my car is for the US market, but just to clarify;

My high beam will only come on with "Auto" when the light sensor has switched form DRL to normal light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts