Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MB Fans ,im have a 1985 190E 2,3 and im detect that the head lamps flasher switch is damage ,im supose higher power lamps spoiled it ,but my question is about how to reach the switch and specially how to take off the steering column plastic cover [?],im need to take the steering wheel out? thanks for helping

Andrew

Argentina -South America

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Hello Andrew190 and welcome![:)]

I just fixed this problem on my 190e and, yes, you will have to remove the steering wheel. If the headlight flasher does not work and you are sure of that, then you will need to replace the combo switch. That is the turn signal/wiper switch/headlight flasher.

Once you remove the wheel, you will remove the contact plate for the horn (and airbag if you have it) and then you can unbolt the combo switch/cruise stalk from the steering column. Dont forget to disconnect the two plugs under the dash for those two switches. One is connected to the fuse box underneath and the other should be seen right under and behind the steering column. Disconnect the cruise control stalk from the combo switch housing and then install the new one. It's an easy job.

Good luck.[8D]

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jammer,Thank you very much for your quick reply ,im will work on the car next weekend ,let me ask you something more ,its necesary to use a puller to take the steering wheel off??

Andrew

Pd: Its true ,imagination its more than knowledge ,you will need it to understand my poor english !!! [:D]jajaja
thanks again[:)]

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Well, I did not need a puller to remove the steering wheel. Unlike a domestic cars steering wheel, you only have the one bolt that holds it on. I did have to use a big allen-hex to remove that bolt, which was a PITA! You may need to use a BIG ratchet for that job. Everything else after that should be easy.

Let us know how it turns out.[:)]

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Jammer ,well at least im solve the problem ,it was easy ,im proceed as you tell me ,im take out the combo switch and fortunatelly the flashing contact has a litle window and you can inspect it and clean it !!! ,so i clean it with gasoline and dry it with compress air ,then some apropiated lubricant in the points it needs and works better than new!!!! ( Im also save U$S 400,the dealer ask me for a new one !!!!,im think its extremely expensive )

Im thank you very much and im congratulate the ones who create this wonderfull Forum

Andrew

Pd : Very important the big rachet to unscrew the steering wheel

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Wow! $400 for a new one? I paid $120 for mine from Autohaus in Phoenix. Glad to hear that you got it fixed. :)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Sorry to bump this up, but a quick question: will a multi function switch (wiper, headlamp flasher, turn signal) from a 93 190E fit and work in an 89 190E?

I hate to pull the steering wheel and crawl underneath the dash to unplug and plug the item on my 190E only to find out they're not compatible.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
Sorry to bump this up, but a quick question: will a multi function switch (wiper, headlamp flasher, turn signal) from a 93 190E fit and work in an 89 190E?

I hate to pull the steering wheel and crawl underneath the dash to unplug and plug the item on my 190E only to find out they're not compatible.
works the same, i put an 85 into an 87 then into my 93 and no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts