Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching HID lamps to do a conversion and i keep running into the same story of hids in a regular (non-hid) lamp assembly cause beam scatter and glare, which sucks, but have noticed that it seems the only difference between the w208 xenon equipped cars and non-xenon equipped cars is the light range adjuster on the xenon cars and not the actual assembly. Am I wrong here?

If so I may just stick to my original plan of getting Spyder black projectors and the phillips bi-xenon kit (even that I'm not sure on 'cause I still don't know if the Spyder projectors are designed for HIDs or not)...

This is frustrating cause i really like the look of this setup and since during the winter I drive almost 600km (each way) to trade school every weekend on dark snow covered highways I would like the extra lighting.

Any help would really be appreciated as there are a lot of conflicting answers out there...

thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
CLK 320 2001
118 Posts
I've been researching HID lamps to do a conversion and i keep running into the same story of hids in a regular (non-hid) lamp assembly cause beam scatter and glare, which sucks, but have noticed that it seems the only difference between the w208 xenon equipped cars and non-xenon equipped cars is the light range adjuster on the xenon cars and not the actual assembly. Am I wrong here?

If so I may just stick to my original plan of getting Spyder black projectors and the phillips bi-xenon kit (even that I'm not sure on 'cause I still don't know if the Spyder projectors are designed for HIDs or not)...

This is frustrating cause i really like the look of this setup and since during the winter I drive almost 600km (each way) to trade school every weekend on dark snow covered highways I would like the extra lighting.

Any help would really be appreciated as there are a lot of conflicting answers out there...

thanks,
Marc

Marc,

I have a set of HID's that I purchased for my 2001 CLK320. I will install them and let you know how they work; scatter or not.

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet, it would be cool to see, now back to the E85 post :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered Spyder's projector lights! Can't wait to get em! Gonna try them with halogen's for now, but probably go with phillips bi-xenons.

Marc

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In and installed!

Just got them in the other day and they are awesome! I like the cut off on the lows but the highs I'm not too sure about. Aiming was a bit of a pain. All in all I like them :D

I know I'm going to get negatives on this (I promised myself I wasn't going to do it but I did), I hooked up the halos. I didn't hook up the LED DRLs though. Those seemed more cheezy (by Spyder's design) than the Halos. :)

Enjoy!,
Marc

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yeah, had to remove the bumper unfortunately. It was a bit of a pain. Much easier with two people. My buddy and I did it in 2 hours, but we didn't have any literature on the bumper removal so it was just a slow process of figuring connection points. One thing that sucked was the fact that we broke a seized bolt, so we were scrambling trying to find some metric hardware since the stores were all closed when we did the job. Not to mention the beer....

Once they were all done and properly adjusted/aimed they are quite nice. very bright. One thing to mention here also is the fact that Spyder's housings do not have mounts for the headlamp washing unit so we had to pre-drill and screw the brackets into place on them. As far as the halos, I just wired them to the DRLs.

Marc

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daytime Running Lamps

I don't know if it's law in the US, but here in Canada every vehicle manufactured after 1990 has to have some sort of lamp on in front of the vehicle during daylight. Be it the amber marker lamps on the bumpers or the headlights running at half or full power. When you import a vehicle into Canada you have to add a daytime running light module if the car doesn't already have the feature. Kinda sucks, had to do it on my '96 200sx (US spec).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts