Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about the headlight adjustment knobs please?
At the back of the headlamp housing are 2 black knobs, one on the upper part of the rear of the headlamp and one sits at the back of the fog light.
I noticed my drivers side light is WAY too high. I just stood in front of the car and the light is aiming above my knees. Turning the knob I did not notice it move at all. Perhaps I need to drive into a parking garage to aim it from some distance to notice the difference?
Thanks for any tips to adjust the light properly.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,495 Posts
The long square knob is for adjusting the up/down position of the headlight. With the car empty (no load) and parked on a perfectly level surface, turn the knob until the bubble in the glass reads -0-. The other knob is for adjusting left/right, and is adjusted until the arrow pointer on the round dial reads -0-.

Best to park about at least 10ft away from a light colored wall and adjust as needed. If nothing happens, the internal mechanism is likely broken. A common issue, especially when a bulb gets replaced by someone unfamiliar with metal base type bubs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlight adjustment

I encountered a similar problem on my 300TDT wagon. I recently purchased it, and when I took delivery, was driving it back from Kansas in the rain and noticed that the light pattern spread in front of the car was not aligned correctly. "sbaert" is correct. I found that adjusting my lights was easiest on a flat surface, and done in the dark, where you can see how the pattern lies on the road surface. I also upgraded the quality of the bulbs for the headlights, and found the change to be worth the money.
On older cars, where the lens cover is yellowing, or chalking, 3M offers a restoration kit that requires a drill, and a little time. It's available at Autozone. It works great, I used it on my 1999 Tahoe. The improvement in the quality of the light was astonishing. Good light is good safety. Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. I tried turning the knob, turned and turned, nothing happened. Then I took the back cover off and discovered that the entire assembly inside is loose. Not sure what happened. I had the dealer install new lens glass maybe it was assembled wrong? The passenger side is fine, but drivers side is lose. how is this assembly secured?

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
The adjustment mechanism is all plastic consisting of some plastic snapin pegs and threaded plastic stuff. Sounds like the person that replaced the lens messed up the fragile mechanism.

You're most likely going to need a new headlight assembly. I have a used one for the driver side w/ lens if needed.

·
Registered
1993 230 TE.1999 om 606 td. and 722.6 3.2L,clk w208 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
759 Posts
What's the reason American 124s dont have the vacuum adjusters and dash control dial, next to the light switch? :confused:

Boyd:)

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
What's the reason American 124s dont have the vacuum adjusters and dash control dial, next to the light switch? :confused:

Boyd:)
Government legislation mandated by the DOT (Department of Transportation). The same guys responsible for the sealed beam headlight, that was a bright idea (no pun intended . . . NOT). A BIC lighter puts out more lumens.

·
Registered
1995 E 300 Diesel & 95 E 320 Wagon
105 Posts
Hello
do you guys have any suggestions on how to adjust the head lights? I mean how high or how far on the sides?
Thank you

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
Use the bubble levels integrated into each headlight for up and down movement.

However, if you want perfect headlight alignment you need to take it to a specialty shop.

·
Registered
17,495 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
611 Posts
Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd try reviving this one.

Any hints for adjusting the horizontal (left to right) aim of the headlights? The factory shop manual states that you turn the adjuster on the most outboard (closest to the fender) part of the light. Then apparently you push up the little indicator wheel, turn it to 0, and there is your adjustment. At least, that's the way I read it. Here is the FSM, I'm looking at the very last page:

http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/82-1130.pdf

I'm talking about the adjuster marked as item #3 in the very last diagram. This adjuster has no knob on it like the other two adjusters. It is also hollow, and only a very wide, but very thin bladed, flat screwdriver would possibly turn it. One of the little tabs on the end of the adjuster broke off, and I gave up. I could eventually get it to turn by hand if I wore some mechanics gloves, but this seems to have no effect on the headlight aim.

The reason I'm asking is that the headlights haven't been adjusted quite right since I took them out to get the car ready for paint.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Guy I'm new to this forum/site and I'm from Malaysia. I would like to know if the glass lense of a 1994 W124, which has got a stone chip right through the glass can be repaired? If yes, how? What's the best material to use? Clear wood epoxy? Any advise. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
Just get a new glass lens and rubber seal available every day of the year on fleaBay. Here is an example

BUT, IF the reflector is pitted/corroded or the adjuster mechanisms are broken then just replace the whole headlights. Again, available every day on the bay. Bosch or Hella are the best, but the Asian knock offs will do if need be.

Just make sure you get the correct version for the glass lens depending if your car is LHD or RHD.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,229 Posts
re adjusting headlights, what I do is find a flat parking area with a light colored wall. it doesn't have to be dead level, it just has to be flat. drive within a few feet of the wall, turn on your low beams, and put a piece of blue painters masking tape on the wall right where the low beam cutoff is on each headlight, then back up straight about 50 feet and that cutoff should have moved down just a few inches. if its gone up, your headlights are too high, adjust down and repeat the test. also when close put a piece at a diagonal where the right side 'flip' is, the intersection of those two lines should stay at about the same place as you back up straight away from the wall, again, adjust the light left or right til its in the same approximate place...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts