Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an interesting one, the head unit seems to have gotten confused and thinks I have a Cassette player installed.

When I pushed the eject button, the screen, instead of going up, went down exposing a cassette slot. Unfortunately I don't have a cassette installed, thus revealing a hollow cavity.

This would be an excellent place to hide drugs, but I have no idea why it did that, and certainly no idea how to do it on purpose. Once down the screen stayed down for a long time, including turning the car off/on again. Eventually it went back into its normal position.

Weird.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And this is on a 2005? If thought only up to 2003 Have the Cassette slot behind the screen
There is no cassette player behind the screen. The screen for some reason went down revealing a hole for a cassette, and behind that hole an empty cavity that could fit a cassette deck.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
That *is* weird. Is this the factory COMAND, as far as you can tell? From the description, I'd suggest perhaps there's an aftermarket head unit in there. Got a pic?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Very strange...

In the USA, the cassette player is only on pre-facelift cars - the larger screen COMAND in the facelift cars doesn't have the cassette, and has no provisions for the screen to move.

·
Registered
852 Posts
This is an interesting one, the head unit seems to have gotten confused and thinks I have a Cassette player installed.

When I pushed the eject button, the screen, instead of going up, went down exposing a cassette slot. Unfortunately I don't have a cassette installed, thus revealing a hollow cavity.

This would be an excellent place to hide drugs, but I have no idea why it did that, and certainly no idea how to do it on purpose. Once down the screen stayed down for a long time, including turning the car off/on again. Eventually it went back into its normal position.

Weird.
No actually the head unit is correct. There should be a single CD player behind it. You are missing it. I have it in my 2005 as well. I also have the 6 cd player in the trunk.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
With a moveable screen, though? Both of my '03 cars, both post-facelift, both (currently) bone-stock, have the CD slot at the top front, already exposed. The screen doesn't move, though.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No actually the head unit is correct. There should be a single CD player behind it. You are missing it. I have it in my 2005 as well. I also have the 6 cd player in the trunk.
No.

The head unit has a single slot CD player at the bottom of the screen, so the screen moves up to reveal the CD.

What the screen did was move down to reveal the hole at the top of the head unit that was the size of a cassette deck. Behind it was a cavity for a cassette player, but obviously no cassette player installed. The head unit got confused, and remained in that position for a good half hour.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My MY04 S500 has both the CD and cassette slot behind the wide screen COMAND unit. The screen does move downward to expose the cassette slot. Why is yours missing? It must have been removed at some point. You will have to take the cassette function out of the optical ring with SDS. Skylaw's write up in the stickies is very helpful.

John

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
W220 Moderator
5,671 Posts
Like everything on any Mercedes, it sounds to me like "Cassette Deck" might be a specifiable option, (at extra cost of course) :grin

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My MY04 S500 has both the CD and cassette slot behind the wide screen COMAND unit. The screen does move downward to expose the cassette slot. Why is yours missing? It must have been removed at some point. You will have to take the cassette function out of the optical ring with SDS. Skylaw's write up in the stickies is very helpful.

John

What button do you push to get to the cassette deck?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Here's a couple photos of the head unit in my 2004 S500. The screen moves downward for cassette, upward for CD and DVD. Sorry it took so long to get these posted.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts