Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'd like to replace the stock head unit in my 1999 SLK 230, probably with a CD/DVD player. Right now I plan on keeping the stock speakers. Does the stock head unit have an internal amp or is there an external amp tucked away somewhere? If it's an external unit will I have to run new wiring to the speakers or is the connection to the amp by standard RCA cables for front and rear channels? Any info and advice would help a lot. Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Thordog - 4/26/2005 2:22 AM

Hi all,

I'd like to replace the stock head unit in my 1999 SLK 230, probably with a CD/DVD player. Right now I plan on keeping the stock speakers. Does the stock head unit have an internal amp or is there an external amp tucked away somewhere? If it's an external unit will I have to run new wiring to the speakers or is the connection to the amp by standard RCA cables for front and rear channels? Any info and advice would help a lot. Thanks

Mike
It only has an amp if it has BOSE and then in your case it would be a Mercedes fibre optic connection. So if you have a phone, teleaid, CD changer then the new head unit has to be a Mercedes one .... unless you intend to change everything.

The speakers should be fine if the car hasnt got BOSE.

·
Registered
2004 SLK32 AMG
807 Posts
Thordog, WTTC. I recommend you try the search function. In this forum and in the R170 forum, search on head unit and you'll get a whole bunch of information on this particular upgrade. www.slk32.com has a how to on installing a new head unit - it's the same for the 230, 320, and 32.

Assuming you have the Bose system, which you probably do, then there is an external amp. There is more or less a standard harness to hook thing up and you'll see that on the www.slk32.com site as well as in posts on the R170 forum [and probably in this forum too].

An after market HU will not be compatible with the OEM cd changer if you have one. If you have the integrated phone, well, you won't be able to dial from the head unit, etc.

Let us know what HU you go with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts