Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys .. I have been reading some and I think I am going to try out the Bipes mP3 connection in my car. One of the steps says to use a Mercedes tool to remove the head unit from the dash, or to use the nail file blade from a swiss army knife.

What it does not tell me is where to place this tool/blade. I have not seen the sides of the head unit so I do not know what it is I am grabbing on to, or where it is. Has anyone removed the head unit and can you point me in the right direction please? Also, are there any unexpected snags along the way?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
3,664 Posts
If you look at the bottom left key and right key you will see that they have a slot in them. That's where you insert the removal key.

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
Thanks for that photo. There is a tutorial somewhere on here that I plan to use to run a cassette adapter out of the rear. I ordered the tool for about a dollar not knowing about the file trick.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I tried the knife trick, your better off getting the right tool its faster and you don't have to worry about snapping off one of the buttns.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
I used 2 thin metal fingernail files. Worked perfectly

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
I pulled my unit out, it slides out, but I can't get the radio removal keys out of the slots in the factory radio. How do you pull the keys back out?

·
Registered
99 slk230 sport
759 Posts
I did the tape adapter thing on mine and I am very happy. i just push tape when i want to hear my satelite radio or mp3 and it sounds just fine. some folks might think its ghetto but it works good and looks stock. i ran the wire out the back and up to the drink holder area where i keep the mp3 player. i can even close the drink holder and keep the mp3/satelite out of view and looking clean.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I pulled my unit out, it slides out, but I can't get the radio removal keys out of the slots in the factory radio. How do you pull the keys back out?
On the side of the unit there is a silver clip thing, you either have to pull on it or push it in to release the tool, i forget which.

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
Thanks livefreeordie, thats what I did shortly after asking for help. Berk, I did the cassette adapter in my CLK, but I actually had the wire coming out the front. Its was a pain trying to get the door closed. So now I am iPodless except for my iTrip FM modulator. I just bought an Alpine digital media receiver to put in the SLK.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320 ex Japan.
261 Posts
Did you get this resolved? I am doing the same thing in my recently acquired 2001 SLK320. I made up keys from some stiff plastic 1 mm thick I had kicking around. I can get the head out about 1" and that is it. I saw somewhere the way to run the wire down to the bottom of the console and back to the arm rest area. This would be great for keeping the iPod charged and with a cheap low profile USB my bet is I can close the sliding lid over the charger when not using it so everything will be out of sight. Have search some more to get access to the head unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts