Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,<br>
<br>
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to swap out my factory head unit for an aftermarket unit that has a CD player and MP3 support. I have an '02 C32. Does anyone know if pulling the stock head unit will effectively disable tele-aid? Since tele-aid uses the stock head unit as an amp and speaker system (I think), won't removing the head unit kill tele-aid?<br>
<br>
Has ANYONE replaced the stock head unit yet on the new C class cars?<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do you have the Bose speaker package? if you do forget about trying to upgrade you factory head unit. <p>pD4B9E84C.dip.t-dialin.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's Bose (that's all that was available) (more)

I do have the Bose (it's the lowest end stereo I could order with the car). I know it isn't going to be easy, but I REALLY want to have a CD player in my car, and I don't care much for CD changers.<br> <br> Do you know of anyone who has seriously delved into what it takes to replace the factory head unit? I know it will require replacing the factory amp and possibly the factory speakers, but I don't know how things like Tele-Aid tie into the factory system, and that's what has me more concerned at the moment.<br> <br> Thanks.<p>firewall.mfm.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: It's Bose (that's all that was available) (more)

As far as I know, there is an MB head unit with CD (without MP3 though) - but you could connect a portable MP3 player through an antena interface.<br> <br> Another option would be to retrofit COMAND. That would give you the CD player (again without MP3) and an Aux input.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: It's Bose (that's all that was available) (more)

whm,<br> <br> Didn't make the connection from Highwaymp3 on my first reply, This is MP3 Patrol, I'm going to a Mercedes Benz dealership next week to get my CD Changer installed. Supposedly, there's a subject matter expert there that I can direct your question to and find out. Do you really plan to completely replace the system if the tele-aid isn't affected? Big bucks just to have MP3 support. Like I said, I've opted for the changer and using CD-R's and WAV format for the music. Using 80 minute CD's I should be able to get the same effect with the 6 pack CD-changer as I would have from a single CD with MP3s. By the way, I was able to find the changer for 550 DM ($270). Later. <p>bfce.wiesbaden.army.mil

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: MP3 head unit

MP3 Patrol... I figured it was you when I saw your original reply.<br> <br> I'm not giving up yet! I'd like to get more than just MP3 compatibility, but I guess that's where I'm starting. As far as I know, the MB factory head unit that has a CD player will only work well in Europe. The radio frequencies and equalizations are different here in the US. <br> <br> I really think the only way to get a better system will be to replace the amp and head unit, and maybe the speakers. I have to say that I'm starting to get a bit pissed that MB has gone to such great lengths to make it nearly impossible to upgrade their system. They could have made life a LOT easier if they'd just provide an AUX In (analog) on the back of their head unit. Then we could simply add a second DIN head unit and be done with it all! I know COMAND comes with an Aux In, but then you don't have a spare DIN space left. They really put the screws to anyone who wants to change the factory configuration.<p>firewall.mfm.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: MP3 head unit

Just a note, the guy who attempted to do the install on my car said my only option was to replace the whole system. Does he know what he's talking about? I hope not, I hope he's dead wrong. I can't see ripping out a system I paid an additional $600 for to begin with. Maybe later I will. I e-mailed Bose to see if they're developing any new head units for Mercedes. I read as follows:<br> <br> First of all,I am an American stationed in Germany. I have a U.S.<br> Specifications 2002 Mercedes C240 and was wondering if there are any plans<br> to release a CD Player/Changer that is MP3 Compatible. Any information<br> regarding anything you may have in development would be greatly appreciated.<br> Also, I did not receive an owners manual with my Bose tape deck that came<br> standard with my car. Could you possibly provide me with a copy.<br> <br> This is the response I got in return:<br> <br> Dear Customer:<br> <br> Not that I am aware of I would confirm this with Mercedes to be sure.<br> <br> Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.<br> Patty Bolack<br> Consumer Relations Division<br> <br> Gotta go for now, talk to you later.<br> <br> Eric<p>pD950D162.dip.t-dialin.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard that Becker *might* be doing one...

I found out that Becker might be planning on coming out with an MP3 compatible deck, but I don't think there's any official word on it, and it's certainly not clear that it will be one that works with the '01 and '02 C class with fiber. I'm trying to find out more about it. Maybe Horst would know?<p>cvg-29-22-174.cinci.rr.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1st Picture of Head unit mounting kit.

Whm,<br> <br> First of all, this does not solve any of the Fiber optic issues. <br> I'm showing you this picture so you can see for yourself that there is in fact an adapter to mount after market head units in the W203 Mercedes. So, if you do replace the entire factory stereo (speakers and all) be sure to get one of these first. It's 75 DM in Germany, which translates to about $37 in the U.S.. This photo shows the unit disassembled. The storage bin pops right in, no screws or glue or anything like that. Even after everything is installed you'll still be able to pull the storage bin out from the front side. If you ask me, the design isn't the greatest but I don't know if there is any other company out there that has one on the market. The second picture is of the unit assembled (in case your not visualizing what I'm writing). Let me know if you have any questions <p>pD4B9E840.dip.t-dialin.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: 1st Picture of Head unit mounting kit.

Cool. That could save at least $100 compared to having an audio shop make a custom face plate. I emailed the place that you posted a while ago and they claimed they didn't have anything like this. Can you give me the number/name where you got it?<br> <br> Also, do you know if they happen to make one that's designed to let you *add* a DIN sized head unit while keeping the factory head unit mounted where it is now? One low tech alternative I'm considering is using an FM Modulator to pipe the MP3 deck's output into the stock system head unit. It might be a tolerable workaround until someone comes out with a way to plug into the fiber loop. It also has the advantage of not screwing up Tele-Aid (which removing the stock head unit probably would do). I've never actually heard the sound quality from a good FM Modulator, so I need to test it in a store before I decide whether or not I can live with it, but I'm guessing a good quality one will produce reasonable results.<p>firewall.mfm.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Number and Information

whm,<br> <br> If you want to get creative, you might be able to trim this kit up for your purposes. The bottom (where the storage bin slides in) is large enough to accommodate a DIN sized head unit. I was experimenting with it when I had it. The Alpine I have fit in both the top and bottom openings. The Dietz part number is 16078 and the numberc Dietz is 011-49-6359-93310. I bought mine from a store called Expert Suppes. Their web-site is www.suppes.de but don't expect much. There is a number or two listed but I think their for the ONE item they sell online. You'll see when you visit the page. If you have trouble tracking this item down I'd be willing to help you out from my end and possible pick one up for you but we'd have to come up way to make the exchange. Maybe Ebay or something like that. Good luck!<br> <br> Over and Out<p>pD4B9E2C7.dip.t-dialin.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: 2nd Picture of Head unit mounting kit

Hi to all<br> <br> Ive just come across this posting. Ive been struggling with trying to upgrade the absolutely<br> awful stock radio/cassette in my 2002 c230.<br> World class car...who would have expected 1980's<br> technology in the radio selection. Cassette,yikes!<br> <br> Anyway, the more Ive checked into this situation<br> the more of a trainwreck it appears to be. I purchased the lowest end radio unit available<br> planning to replace it. Who would have believed that any engineer would have been evil enough to<br> wire in the tel-aid system. Car stereo installers<br> trembled at the thought of yanking the radio<br> 'fiber-optics' ooooooh. Truth is, the only fiber optic connection is between the scandalously<br> over priced cd changer and the head unit. The rest<br> of the connections are just wires. The Bose system<br> with comand is fiber optics, not the base radio.<br> Im ready to go for a new head unit, now that I know the booby trap isn't armed on my unit. The only problem is...no dash board kit.<br> <br> Now, I see you folks have found a kit in Germany.<br> Any idea how I can get a hold of one here in the states?<br> <br> I see you have a phone #, could I trouble you for<br> an email address if there is one.<br> <br> Regards and thanks!<br> <br> Stefan<p>dialup11-44-pri.dialup11.voicenet.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Stefan<br> <br> I don't have their e-mail address on me but I might be able to go down to the local store here and pick one up. You might have a couple issues with this place though. First, They probably won't except Visa or Mastercard as payment, only Eurocard. Second, I don't know if they'll ship to the U.S.. I'll get the you their information on Monday and post it here. If that fails, I could probably pick one up for you and post it on Ebay if you want.<br> <br> <p>pD4B9E2C3.dip.t-dialin.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is all the exitement about Teleaid?

Have your Mercedes dealer show you the MB Single CD Receiver, part # Q 6 82 0410. If your dealer can not help you, call Burl in our parts dept. at 888 423 3537 x209. Ask for the 4602 model, which btw also works with our six and ten disc changers. Look up front view at www.beckerautosound.com/4602small.jpg<br> <br> In vehicles with CAN-Bus, some 2000 and 2001 models, you will have to install the ignition plus line, illumination and speedometer signal wire, and you will lose the following features. Factory CD changer, if installed. Steering wheel controls. Radio display in instrument cluster. Hands free use of factory phone, if installed. You may install a Becker six disc changer BE 2660.<br> <p>pool-138-89-109-103.mad.east.verizon.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tele-aid does not connect to head unit, at least if you have a car without COMMAND. An aftermarket head unit can be connected using VW wiring harness with slight modifications. I have a 2001 SLK, but it uses the same Bose system that is in several other MB models. I replaced the head unit with Kenwood CD/MP3 unit, added a subwoofer amp and sub in the trunk. I am planning to add 10 dics Kenwood changer and Sirius digital satellite radio in the next year. This can all be done without any modification to the rest of the Bose system, and I can restore it to stock in only a few minutes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

That's a generous offer. (buying and forwarding or posting on ebay) Thank you!<br> <br> I'll let you know. <br> <br> Thanks again., steve

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Dietz Web-site

Ok, thanks to all who got me headed in the right<br> direction.<br> <br> I recently obtained from a company in Great Britain, all of the parts I needed. I purchased<br> the dietz fascia adapter plate, an antenae adapter and a wiring harness block for my c230.<br> Christine, my contact there, helped me to confirm<br> the correct parts and cheerfully answered all of my questions. They allowed me to pay with a visa,<br> which the german vendors did not allow. They shipped right to my door, via parcel post. I think<br> it was competively priced compared to similar<br> domestic units for other cars purchased here in the states. For more info email Christine at:<br> [email protected] Thanks to all who helped!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Dietz Web-site

Ok, thanks to all who got me headed in the right<br> direction.<br> <br> I recently obtained from a company in Great Britain, all of the parts I needed. I purchased<br> the dietz fascia adapter plate, an antenae adapter and a wiring harness block for my c230.<br> Christine, my contact there, helped me to confirm<br> the correct parts and cheerfully answered all of my questions. They allowed me to pay with a visa,<br> which the german vendors did not allow. They shipped right to my door, via parcel post. I think<br> it was competively priced compared to similar<br> domestic units for other cars purchased here in the states. For more info email Christine at:<br> [email protected] Thanks to all who helped!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts