Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having problem with the passanger side, The head reast will move up but it won't move down. Every thing else work. The dealer replace the controle unit on the passanger door almost a year ago. I can't seem to figure it out. I looked under the seat and I saw about 3 or 4 harness plugs. Don't know which plug it is and I'm thinking it could be an wire issue but I'm not sure on how to fix it. Please help.

Also a side note. When I fold the passanger seat foward the head rest does move down.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That suggests to me that it is something to do with the switch on the door....
That switch is not a year old :( . Should I just order another switch?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
Not yet! What's the history here?

It sounds like you have had trouble already and it was fixed, so it could possibly be just a connector problem. Access to the switch group seems tricky, although they are mounted on a small piece of trim that might pop out of the door liner.

However, the WIS shows that you should get the door liner off first to get to the 'seat adjustment switch group'. Of course you could use the door tilt mechanism to stop the headrest in the right place...:surrender:

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
I've just realized that if this switch is less than a year old, you should get it fixed under warranty. I would discuss it with the shop.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just realized that if this switch is less than a year old, you should get it fixed under warranty. I would discuss it with the shop.
I see if I can find the recipt from MB to be sure on the date and then call it in and see what happen.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer replace the switch about 9 month ago. I'm taking it to MB on Monday. I hope there going to cover it under warrenty (vehicle is out of factory warrenty).

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Please let us know what the Dealer does???

I believe if the car was out of warranty when the switch was replaced, and you paid money for the switch, then the switch is covered by a 1 year warranty; however, the labor to install the switch may be a different story...

So let us know!

:)

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please let us know what the Dealer does???

I believe if the car was out of warranty when the switch was replaced, and you paid money for the switch, then the switch is covered by a 1 year warranty; however, the labor to install the switch may be a different story...

So let us know!

MB replace the switch, while the vehicle was under factory warrenty. It has not been a year yet.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just picked up the vehicle just now from MB. They told me it started to work right after I drop off the vehicle, and they found a code error, they reset the code. Now it works like a charm. MB did not charge me anything.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
That solution really surprises me.

I did not realize that the software developed faults for no reason...:confused:

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It surprise me to. At least I learn something new.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Head Rest is Computer Controlled !!!!

You lucked out... the dealer must like you! :thumbsup:

Although the switch was replaced at no cost while the car was still in warranty, the switch warranty stops when the car's warranty expires.

However, in the case that if you had actually paid out of pocket expense for the switch, then it has a 1 year warranty, but the labor is not included or is at the descretion of the dealer.

Well, it is good to know that the head rest movement is "computer" controlled (control module that was replaced?) depending on the position of the switches! That explains why a software (firmware) glitch will cause a problem in it's operation.

Looks like the days of the simple switch directly operating a motor is OVER.:eek:

But this still leaves us wondering what would have caused the software/firmware to throw an error code? AND is there a simple way to reset the computer, like disconnecting the battery cable for a minute?

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You lucked out... the dealer must like you! :thumbsup:

Although the switch was replaced at no cost while the car was still in warranty, the switch warranty stops when the car's warranty expires.

However, in the case that if you had actually paid out of pocket expense for the switch, then it has a 1 year warranty, but the labor is not included or is at the descretion of the dealer.

Well, it is good to know that the head rest movement is "computer" controlled (control module that was replaced?) depending on the position of the switches! That explains why a software (firmware) glitch will cause a problem in it's operation.

Looks like the days of the simple switch directly operating a motor is OVER.:eek:

But this still leaves us wondering what would have caused the software/firmware to throw an error code? AND is there a simple way to reset the computer, like disconnecting the battery cable for a minute?

I'm not sure why the software had a glitch. But at least I got this far. Next time any one have the same problem. It could be the software but I also like to find out is there an easy way to reset the computer. That is something I have to figure out next time if I do run in to the same problem :).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts