Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz E320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was adjusting my seat earlier today and the head rest wouldnt go down. i tried to see if it would go up and it did. but now it looks stupid. does anyone know how i could manually get it down or an estimate on how much it would cost to get it fixed? thanks Matt

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Front?

You need to remove the seat back and fix the gear or adjust it.
:bowdown:
or try pushing down while hitting the switch,you may have taken it off the top of it's range.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz E320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried pushing down while hitting the botton and it didnt budge. when you say fix the gear or adjust it do you mean manually lowering the headrest? and if so how do i get the back of the seat off?

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,274 Posts
- pop out the rear seat bottom cushion (latch at bottom of each corner)

- pull off the rear seat back (3 bolts at the bottom edge: side, center, side)

- reach through and manually manipulate rests out, or down. troubleshoot
to see if vacuum tubing is leaking, out, etc while you have things opened up

... < 5 min procedure to remove seats. degree of difficulty 1 out of 10 (high)

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,274 Posts
that's the drawback in reading while at work. always having to keep one eye
for the boss and reading fast. LOL. as Rosanne Rosannadanna would say
"never mind!"

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz E320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i went to the disassembly site but it doesnt show how to take off the back of the seat. i know i should probably be able to figure it out but i really dont want to mess anything up. and does anyone know if i can manually lower the head rest once i get the seat back off?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
I never

had my gears get messed.Try a shout out for member Mark Cummins
he had a fix for the busted gears or adjustment.At least i think it was him:thumbsup:
:bowdown:eek:hlord

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Disassemby site not working well

i went to the disassembly site but it doesnt show how to take off the back of the seat. i know i should probably be able to figure it out but i really dont want to mess anything up. and does anyone know if i can manually lower the head rest once i get the seat back off?
MercBenz1990,

It looks like there is something wrong with that site, and I could not find how to take the seat backs off either. I would not try to figure it out myself because I am all thumbs. That's not to say you are too, but I would not want to mess anything up either.

I suspect that if/when you get the backs off and you can see the headrest mechanism, you should see how to gently free up the part(s) that are stuck.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz E320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey guys i figured out a way to get the head rest down! haha. if i hit the second memory button it will go down. It still bothers me that the switch wont work but im happy i found a way to get it back down. i appreciate all the help and suggestions.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,274 Posts
if you've determined that your switch is bad and need replacementi have a spare. $30 shipped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts