Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes R107 SL 500SL euro right hand drive
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has arrived to upgrade my head lights to HID XENON due to the poor lighting on my r107 500 SL.

Appreciate some information on this subject .

Has any member carried out this upgrade .

What were the improvements

Where do we obtain this lighting system

Looking forward to any info , in particular the euro model square head light.

Den Downunder:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
You may want to consider if your wiring is up to the task. I upgraded mine to a headlight relay system before adding the Hella H4’s. The headlights run directly off the battery (through the relay) and the relay is turned on and off from one of the existing headlight female plugs. When you turn your headlights on the existing wiring is now turning only the relay on which uses a minimal amount of voltage. Great info on lighting can be found here.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Wiring is pretty easy and straightforward and the relays are fairly cheap. The results are dramatic. Probably the best upgrade that I have made to the car.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
You may want to consider if your wiring is up to the task. I upgraded mine to a headlight relay system before adding the Hella H4’s. The headlights run directly off the battery (through the relay) and the relay is turned on and off from one of the existing headlight female plugs. When you turn your headlights on the existing wiring is now turning only the relay on which uses a minimal amount of voltage. Great info on lighting can be found here.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Wiring is pretty easy and straightforward and the relays are fairly cheap. The results are dramatic. Probably the best upgrade that I have made to the car.

Did you do it differently from ScottInSoCal? That's his thread in the EGv107.

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
Did you do it differently from ScottInSoCal? That's his thread in the EGv107.
Yes and no. I had bought all I needed then came across a kit on CraigsList made by Painless Wiring that I couldn't pass up. Unused and still in the box. A snap to install. Had to shorten the wiring a bit IIRC. Ran it for awhile with the sealed beam headlights and they were much brighter. Then swapped in the Hella H4's with 75/80 watt lamps (can't remember which). A much noticeable improvement.

ps Since I rarely use my hi beams I only converted the main ones.
pss had to (like Scott) turn down the brightness on my dash lights.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
I've converted hi and lo beams on the 450 to halogen--the first step in Scott's process. I also did the low beams on the 560. I have not gone to the xenon conversion yet. I am using bulbs that put out enough lumen for a 100W but only use 75W. I did not rewire anything though. They have a rather neat blue look to the center of the headlight, but not the light itself. I posted a link to the site I bought the Hellas from--much cheaper than Scott's source, at the end of his thread.

I'm very happy with the amount of light at this point and don't see a need for the xenon conversion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts