Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Today on my 2001 w210 the passenger side parking light burned out. As I tried to replace the bulb, I noted the reflector was loose. Its very tight to visually see the problem. It appears I will have to remove the headlight assembly to fix the unknown problem.

Do I need to remove the front bumber to disasseble the head light assembly?
Any advise how to fix the loose reflector in the parking light portion of the assembly without removing the whole bumper and headlights.

Thanks
2001 W210
2004 Volvo XC90 t6
2010 VW Passat

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,127 Posts
for facelift models of the 210, bumper removal is required in order to pull out
the headlight. unfortunate, as it's only a 10 min job with the 96-99 210s.
don't think it's possible to fix loose reflector w/o headlight removal. then
again, without knowing the cause, it's difficult to be precise. still, access
to the reflector is severely limited.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
early w210 do NOT require bumper removal the get out the headlamp/city/high beam assembly. the small metal trim piece directly above the bumper will need to come off to allow removal. very much a DIY job.

·
Registered
2001 E320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While looking into the loose highbeam reflector, I noted an access located in the rear middle of the light assembly that connects into the reflector through a plastic shaft. In my case the end of the shaft is nor connected to reflector thus the being loose. The excess point is a plastic cover removed by rotating to unlock and pull.

·
Registered
24 Posts
early w210 do NOT require bumper removal the get out the headlamp/city/high beam assembly. the small metal trim piece directly above the bumper will need to come off to allow removal. very much a DIY job.
OP has a late, not early, facelifted W210 therefore he needs to remove the bumper as it seems.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
While looking into the loose highbeam reflector, I noted an access located in the rear middle of the light assembly that connects into the reflector through a plastic shaft. In my case the end of the shaft is nor connected to reflector thus the being loose. The excess point is a plastic cover removed by rotating to unlock and pull.
It would seem if your headlight is set up for Xenon bulbs. In Germany by law the headlamps have to adjust automatically for hight if you have Xenon and I think that is what the shaft is for. I don't think that non-Xenon lights had automatic adjustment, but it may have been an option?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts