Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'91 300SEL W126
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All;

I removed my M103 head to get a valve job which looks pretty good but now I decided to pull the engine out and rebuild the entire thing seeing its already at 250k mileage.
Now here is my question... although I think I already know your responses... is there any way to pull the engine out WITHOUT putting the head & top cover back on? The engine hoist (suspension) eyes are of course on the head/top cover. I was hoping you experienced guys/gals just may have a work around for this particular problem? Since I have already rounded out a head bolt & now have to wait for that special order to come in I really wanted to proceed with the engine pull if at all possible.

Again, thanks for all the help

Rick L.

ps. the head bolt came out easily.

·
Registered
300se, 560sel
486 Posts
Did the same exact thing. Wrap the engine with chains. I used the head bolts and inserted them back in with the chain in-between. I too had 250k and just rebuilt everything. I don’t trust those mounting eyes, just look at the bolts that they attached to, scary! You won’t regret rebuilding this puppy. I would use genuine parts at all the critical areas i.e. headgasket, hoses etc etc. Also locate some Reinzosil and used it at all the oil leaking prone areas.

Rick

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
Insert two head bolts (with a big washer if necessary) in chain links, one at each end of the chain. Then screw the two bolts at each end of the block deck and your engine is ready to be lifted.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Insert two head bolts (with a big washer if necessary) in chain links, one at each end of the chain. Then screw the two bolts at each end of the block deck and your engine is ready to be lifted.
+1 ^^

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
If you want to reuse your headbolts and fear to damage them just use other(shorter) bolts with the same thread

1 - 5 of 5 Posts