Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just replaced my head gasket in the 416. Now while I had the head hung in the air (engine hoist thru passenger door(((bad idea))), lots of crud managed to make its way to the top of the block. Cleaning took forever and I had to rotate the engine to get at the cylinder walls. I did a double rotation to get me back to the start point and my mark.
Before I started this fun project I had taken off my IP to go to the IP gods for a rebuild so I know exactly where my flywheel was. Now when I go to put my rocker arm assembly back on I find two of the pushrods seem to be way high. If i was to put the rocker arms back on I would have to back off on the nuts of these pushrods more than I normally would. In the pic you can see where the the nuts are in relation to the others.
I did take the side cover off and have a look and the tappets are high.
Before whenever I have removed the rocker arm assembly I usually loosen off the nuts a half turn before reinstalling and everything goes back into place nicely, this is my first time encountering something like this.
Am I missing something in regard to this??????
G Vavra

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Did you leave the pushrods in when you pulled the head? Maybe some crud dropped down the holes that the pushrods go through and are sitting in the way of the push rods seating correctly. I would pull the side cover and have a look see.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did remove all the pushrods before lifting the head ( i have a nice hole and plug below my wipers to get at the forward two rods).
Pulled the side cover and took out/cleaned the tappets, even stuffed my finger down to the camshaft/ no obstructions.
The circled ones are the the high ones (duh)
I will give a shot at reassembly and see what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Surely some will be high because of the cam position, which would be holding some of the valves open at that point in rotation? ( ie they will be under tension as the head goes down) Or are they REALLY high?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Which makes me wonder if the engine is still at tdc.

Surely some will be high because of the cam position, which would be holding some of the valves open at that point in rotation? ( ie they will be under tension as the head goes down) Or are they REALLY high?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
There should always be a couple Tappets that are "open" no matter what position the engine is in.

Just slap the rockers on, ten set the engine up for setting the valves. I have a feeli g you will realize that the high Tappets are just the valves that should be open.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There should always be a couple Tappets that are "open" no matter what position the engine is in.

Just slap the rockers on, ten set the engine up for setting the valves. I have a feeli g you will realize that the high Tappets are just the valves that should be open.
My point exactly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts