Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. im really new at this site and in need of help. im trying to replace the head gasket and maybe the piston rings in my 93 300d 2.5 turbo, and i have a couple of questiones. First of all what kind of wrench do i use for the head bolts? It looks to me like a torx but im not sure. Second questione i have is how do i put the dam timing chain tensioner back togheter cuz i took it apart by mistake and all the springs and little balls feel out. and a final question how do i adjust the timing?
any sugestiones and any help would be greatly apreciated. thank you

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
The head bolt needs a special socket called a triple-square. It looks like a 12-pt torx bit. I think the size is M-14. You can get the 4-pack variety that contains the bit you need from most auto supply houses for about $10. If you post your location we may be able to help further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the tip ill go to autozone see if they have the triple square socket. my location is aurora illinois

·
Registered
Mercedes E200 black. Mercedes 300ce - sold.
761 Posts
i dont know about merc timing tensioners but my mate had a mondeo st24 and one of his went, we spent a day stripping the banks to get to the tensioners, they was shagged!!

i wouldnt attempt to put one back together, i would buy a new one, not just for peace of mind but you may aswell do it if you have the acces anyway. a head gasket job isnt cheap so an extra tensiner here or there shouldnt make much of a difference to the overall cost

my 2pence anyway, as with the brake thread, if your in there doing one thing........ do the rest at the same time, saves in the long run!

cheers
Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got the triple square set at carquest its an 10 mm by the way. one of the bolts was so tight that the tripple bit snapped right off so i had to get another one. got the job done with the second one though. thanks for the tip. now i just have to figure out how to take the head off without taking the chain off all the way. i assume i just pull that pin out from the front of the head. the pin thats holding the plastick chain guide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
make sure you mark the chain & sprocket make sure it goes back in the right place. I would recommend aligning the timing marks on cam/crank before you take the gear off the cam.

the pin in the chain guide should come out by slowly threading a bolt (6mm I think) into the pin using a socket or washers as a spacer. It's kind of the same concept as a gear puller, only inside out.

for service manuals try:

http://mb.braingears.com

http://skinnerbox.steaky.org/

neither are complete but between the two you should be able to get what you need. if the braingears sitecomes up with a "file not found" error check the spelling & capitalization of the link, usually only one letter off.

·
Registered
Mercedes E200 black. Mercedes 300ce - sold.
761 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
jrr said:
replace the head gasket and maybe the piston rings in my 93 300d 2.5 turbo
how many miles on your 93 2.5td

1 - 10 of 10 Posts