1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:(]
Some advice please.
Now I am pretty bummed. We were going to pick up the wagon today. Seller called me last night to tell me it wasn't running right. It has only been driven occasionally over the past couple months. So he took it to Benzworld in Austin. Turns out it is the head gasket. He is going to have it replaced, and the repair man said that it could have damanged the cat converter. 119,000 miles. I am still interested in the car if they can tell that nothing else is wrong. Thinking that the head gasket being replaced would be one up on a wagon without the gasket replaced. Buying the car for 3700.00

Would you still be interested if you found that out and it was replaced?

Is there anything else that could have been messed up with a leaky gasket. Not driven far?

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
The head gasket is a common item to fail in these cars. $3700 sounds like a good deal for a relatively low mile TE, especially if the seller pays to replace the gasket. Lots of 124 owners drive with leaky (as opposed to blown) head gaskets for many miles. Get a pre-purchase inspection performed by an MB mechanic.

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I appricate the quick reply. I was going to ask for the compression of each cylinder after the replacement. Current owner is going to pay for that. My only fear would be that the cat would go out later. I guess I should price one. I am restoring a 66 Mustang so I could weld it in myself.

Here are some more pics.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bobnoxiuos/slideshow?.dir=/cf82&.src=ph

Please that gives me more time to sell my Cougar.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bobnoxiuos/slideshow?.dir=/faa6&.src=ph

·
Registered
Benz 260E and others
349 Posts
This car has a modified air intake system. I would suggest you asked for the original intake as it is much more efficient than what has been installed. from the car. What else has been played with?
As the head is going off for the head gasket replacement, you should ask for new valve seals and have a look at some of the valve guides.
At $3,700. you can't loose.

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
Rob from my opinion if they are going to replace the head gasket and they are going to do it right.

I would buy the car because head gasket is a common problem with these cars at that milage.

·
Registered
452 Posts
definitely get it checked out by an MB mechanic, but like everyone has said, the head gasket goes out on all of these cars eventually. Mine is slowly leaking and it's gonna cost a lot of money to fix. You're lucky this happened before you bought it. This car is gonna be worth a lot more w/this repair.

Also, that's good advice above about having the valve guides and seals re-done. That car will be great for many many more miles after that.

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. It is with a Benz mechanic. I told him I still want to buy the car but want to speak with the mechanic and a compression reading on each cylinder. I ordered the shop CD off ehay. I hope it has the correct compression for a 300 TE. The orginal intake is included. The only other modification to the drive train is the muffler. H & R spring, I am familar with as the make the for the Cougar as well. A car I have currently modified and returned to stock. He said the intake improved the gas milage. Same on my current daily driver. Main concern there is that it has been cleaned regularly and correctly. Don't want any of that oil getting in the sensors. Hopefully, all will go well. After about a year of searching, I finally felt like I had found the one! I sure am glad this didn't happen next week when it would have been mine lock, stock and barrel! [8)] Getting closer to a smile!

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I finally found it. This was like looking for the holy grail...

Engine
Code: M 103 E 30 / 103.983
Manufacturer: Mercedes-Benz
Type: S-6
SOHC
12 valves total
2 valves per cylinder
Main bearings: 7
Bore x stroke: 88.50mm × 80.25mm
Bore / stroke ratio: 1.1
Displacement: 2962 cc 180.75 cu in
Compression: 10.00:1
Fuel system: Bo KE-Jet fuel inj.
Aspiration: Normal
Max. output: 187.6 PS (185.0 bhp) (138 kW)@5700 rpm
Max. torque: 260.0 Nm (192 lbft) (26.5 kgm)@4400 rpm
Coolant: Water
Specific output: 62.5 bhp/litre
Specific torque: 87.78 Nm/litre

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And the answer is:

The minimum acceptable level is 145 PSI. When purchased new it was 203 PSI.

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bummer. Here is the status on the car. Shop is Benzworks. Here is what they told the seller:"They replaced the head gasket, thermostat, fuel filter and a vacuum line. He said the car now runs cooler than it did than when I brought it in but still feels like it's missing , idles rough and some white smoke is present when you rev the engine." He is going to find out more today. They said it could be a wiring problem. Does that sound right. Sounds more like a timing or to much spark problem? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mechanic said it is the wireing harness. That sounds like a possibility I guess. Could the harness cause what sounds like missing?

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
If the engine wiring harness is original, have it replaced. There's no money lost if it doesn't fix the problem. Usually replacing the head gasket disturbs the unusually brittle insulation to where bare wires are exposed after the head job. It's not unusual for quirks to happen such a job.

White smoke from the exhaust?... I'd be worried about that. Make sure the car has gotten enough exercise that it's not warm-up smoke or something in the system that hasn't been burned off after repair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts