Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is a head from a '91 thru '93 2.3 liter, 8 valve engine compatible with an '88 2.3L, 8 valve !

Thanks! Greg

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
Im not too sure im firaly sure it is but i do know the exaust manifold changes in the years but that may have been pre 88 im not 100%

·
Registered
91' 190E 2.3L 8V
107 Posts
I think after '86, the cover changes to plastic, before that it's magnesium alloy. You can check the bolt pattern. If you see 5 bolts holding the case down, it's the plastic one. But from the online manual, I read a note that if the plastic one cracks, change it back to the magnesium one.... But I've never figured how as for their bolt patters are different!!!

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
wouldnt there be a difference between the double and single row chain setups?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses!
I agree that the exhaust manifold could be a little different. Unfortunately I don't have access to the head I am considering bidding on and the seller isn't very responsive in answering my questions. I have asked the seller about the exhaust manifold and also the timing chain (1 vs. 2 row) concern. However, I believe all 2.3's after 1988 went to a 2 row if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure either about the valve cover being metal or not. Perhaps someone else will chime in.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The seller finally sent me pics of the head. It turns out that is has the open chambers (round) and mine has the closed chambers (D shaped). Everything else looks identical to mine. Does anyone know the difference between the (2) chamber types. Are they interchangable? I tend to think not.
Anyway, what's driving this whole topic is that my son overheated his 190e and the head gasket weakened between the back cylinder and the nearest water port and a small portion of the cylinder wall actually wore away (about 3/16" sq.).
Does anyone know if the head could be successfully welded?
Thanks! Greg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally had time to take the head to the machine shop. As it turns out the head got so hot it warped past the point of no return. Thanks for all of your assistance!
Now I have to locate another used head. Anyone know of one in the Seattle area? Preferably one that has been rebuilt. And of course for a fair price.

Greg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally had time to take the head to the machine shop. As it turns out the head got so hot it warped past the point of no return. Thanks for all of your assistance!
Now I have to locate another used head. Anyone know of one in the Seattle area? Preferably one that has been rebuilt. And of course for a fair price.

Greg

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
i am looking to buy a 8 valve head and cam .call me stan 4105726811 or email me thanksfor my 1990 2.3 help
this isnt a for sale thread. if you are looking for a head please post it up in the FS/WTD/Trade thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.