Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
i am a little on the late show here, a few questions on Installing HD radio:

Is there an Sirius/HD Radio option for the W204's?
I saw this on eBay, wondering if it can be adapted, after determining if it will fit :D eBay Motors: New Mercedes Benz Sirius HD Radio Tuner OEM C S E class (item 110373714573 end time Apr-11-09 06:31:32 PDT)

Has anyone installed HD radio and how did you do it? (examples please)

Regards and Thanks

if you have the latest telematics firmware then you can add the HD tuner. The tuner installs in the same manner as the sirius tuner (if you have the sirius tuner then the combined HD/sirius replaces it).

You have to do the following to install it (this is assuming you already have sirius)

1. remove the factory sirius module

2. plug in the HD/sirius tuner.

3. The HD/sirius has its own FM antenna inputs... when you install the HD/sirius the fm antenna inputs on the radio (command) stop working. You need to get a 15 ft extension cable to route the antenna back to the HD/sirius tuner box.

4. SCN code the command for the HD/Sirius tuner (under sirius change from "present" to "present Sirius+HD"

if you do not have sirius at all then you also need a harness (12v, gnd, wakeup) as well as additional MOST fiber to connect it. Additionally if you dont have sirius then you probably do not have the MOST loop enabled so that will have to be scn coded to present as well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
if you have the latest telematics firmware then you can add the HD tuner. The tuner installs in the same manner as the sirius tuner (if you have the sirius tuner then the combined HD/sirius replaces it).

You have to do the following to install it (this is assuming you already have sirius)

3. The HD/sirius has its own FM antenna inputs... when you install the HD/sirius the fm antenna inputs on the radio (command) stop working. You need to get a 15 ft extension cable to route the antenna back to the HD/sirius tuner box.

4. SCN code the command for the HD/Sirius tuner (under sirius change from "present" to "present Sirius+HD"

if you do not have sirius at all then you also need a harness (12v, gnd, wakeup) as well as additional MOST fiber to connect it. Additionally if you dont have sirius then you probably do not have the MOST loop enabled so that will have to be scn coded to present as well.

Rob, Yes I do have Sirius satellite. I do have some additional questions.
The new 15 foot cable, which i am sure is from the Comand Unit to the Module, and I can just use the existing cables to connect up to the module from the antenna?

Do all of Comand Units have the Sirius/HD option already built in?

Thanks

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
Rob, Yes I do have Sirius satellite. I do have some additional questions.
The new 15 foot cable, which i am sure is from the Comand Unit to the Module, and I can just use the existing cables to connect up to the module from the antenna?

Do all of Comand Units have the Sirius/HD option already built in?

Thanks
No, the FM antenna normally runs to the command in the front of the vehicle. The Sirius/HD tuner has 3 antenna inputs, one for sat and 2 for FM/AM/HD. so the problem is that you need to get the FM/AM/HD antenna to the back of the car to plug into the new box. ( in other words the internal tuner on the command stops working and the new HD tuner is used instead.) The easiest way to do this is to route a dual antenna extension from the front behind the command back to the HD tuner. of course you could also work the existing antenna loose out of the main harness but that would involve tearing apart a large section of the vehicle.

All new command units are HD ready: all 2009 NTG 2.5 and 2009 NTG4 (w204). the older W204 radios (from 2008) need to be updated first to be HD ready.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the FM antenna normally runs to the command in the front of the vehicle. The Sirius/HD tuner has 3 antenna inputs, one for sat and 2 for FM/AM/HD. so the problem is that you need to get the FM/AM/HD antenna to the back of the car to plug into the new box. ( in other words the internal tuner on the command stops working and the new HD tuner is used instead.) The easiest way to do this is to route a dual antenna extension from the front behind the command back to the HD tuner. of course you could also work the existing antenna loose out of the main harness but that would involve tearing apart a large section of the vehicle.

All new command units are HD ready: all 2009 NTG 2.5 and 2009 NTG4 (w204). the older W204 radios (from 2008) need to be updated first to be HD ready.
Rob, Ok we are on the same page, when I said earlier "which i am sure is from the Comand Unit to the Module", that is basically correct, but the part where I got it wrong is where the existing cables connecting to the Antenna can be used by rerouting them to the new Module (well easily they can't). So I need a dual cable about 15 feet to run from the area in back of my Comand HU, connecting the existing AM/FM antenna cables to the Sirius/HD module.

Ok, now to insure going forward we are on the same page:

A) The AM/FM/SAT antenna which sits on top of the car at the rear needs to input into the Sirius/HD Module. So I just extend the existing cable that currently connects to the Comand HU, to the new SAT/HD Radio Module or run a new cable between the splitter in the rear of the car to the new SAT/HD Radio Module (a lot more work and since we are talking digital, probably not required.). Ok so I agree on the easy path.

So I get a 15 foot cable with male Fakra connectors or male SMB connectors on the end that connects to the end of the existing antenna cables and female Fakra or female SMB connectors on the other end to plug into the SAT/HD module.

B) Then either go to the dealer and have them update the software in the Comand HU to the version that is compatible with HD (anyone know the version number?), or somehow get the update software myself (not likely), and perform the update:(

Once this is done, how does the new module's HD Radio output get into the Comand HU, does it use the same path as the Sirius data output via the MOST Ring or?

So do you know anyone who did this successfully?

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
Rob, Ok we are on the same page, when I said earlier "which i am sure is from the Comand Unit to the Module", that is basically correct, but the part where I got it wrong is where the existing cables connecting to the Antenna can be used by rerouting them to the new Module (well easily they can't). So I need a dual cable about 15 feet to run from the area in back of my Comand HU, connecting the existing AM/FM antenna cables to the Sirius/HD module.

Ok, now to insure going forward we are on the same page:

A) The AM/FM/SAT antenna which sits on top of the car at the rear needs to input into the Sirius/HD Module. So I just extend the existing cable that currently connects to the Comand HU, to the new SAT/HD Radio Module or run a new cable between the splitter in the rear of the car to the new SAT/HD Radio Module (a lot more work and since we are talking digital, probably not required.). Ok so I agree on the easy path.

So I get a 15 foot cable with male Fakra connectors or male SMB connectors on the end that connects to the end of the existing antenna cables and female Fakra or female SMB connectors on the other end to plug into the SAT/HD module.

B) Then either go to the dealer and have them update the software in the Comand HU to the version that is compatible with HD (anyone know the version number?), or somehow get the update software myself (not likely), and perform the update:(

Once this is done, how does the new module's HD Radio output get into the Comand HU, does it use the same path as the Sirius data output via the MOST Ring or?

So do you know anyone who did this successfully?

A. correct... you can pretty much get any dual male to female SMB or FAKRA.. it may be difficult to get the exact FAKRA plugs on each end to match so its often easier to just pull the housings off and just plug the SMB ends in (e.g. all FAKRA plugs are SMB anyway)

B. Yes, you are going to need to have the dealer do it as to do the update you need the curent telematics disc and an SDS machine to start the update process. I have the current telematics disc at work; ill post back with the version number when i get in. Also remember that after its updated you also need to have the SCN coding changed so that command understands you have the Sirius/HD combituner and not just sirius.

Once everything is programmed,the command now gets all tuner audio for AM/FM/HD/WB from the sirius/HD module over the MOST ring. The internal tuner on the command is disabled. Since you asked, just a disclaimer: I have not done a HD upgrade on the W204 yet but I have done them on other 2009 models ( you are the first w204 owner to even ask about doing it). At our lab I do all the R&D for the programmer and retrofit kits which is how I know about doing this on the W204. I have already mapped out the coding to make sure the option is there since at some point someone will want us to sell them an HD upgrade kit.

While it should work, there is always the possibility that it wont (since its not an official MB upgrade or option yet) so if you dont want to take the chance you might consider waiting until I have a w204 back in the lab and can actually attempt the retrofit.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A. correct... you can pretty much get any dual male to female SMB or FAKRA.. it may be difficult to get the exact FAKRA plugs on each end to match so its often easier to just pull the housings off and just plug the SMB ends in (e.g. all FAKRA plugs are SMB anyway)

B. Yes, you are going to need to have the dealer do it as to do the update you need the curent telematics disc and an SDS machine to start the update process. I have the current telematics disc at work; ill post back with the version number when i get in. Also remember that after its updated you also need to have the SCN coding changed so that command understands you have the Sirius/HD combituner and not just sirius.

Once everything is programmed,the command now gets all tuner audio for AM/FM/HD/WB from the sirius/HD module over the MOST ring. The internal tuner on the command is disabled. Since you asked, just a disclaimer: I have not done a HD upgrade on the W204 yet but I have done them on other 2009 models ( you are the first w204 owner to even ask about doing it). At our lab I do all the R&D for the programmer and retrofit kits which is how I know about doing this on the W204. I have already mapped out the coding to make sure the option is there since at some point someone will want us to sell them an HD upgrade kit.

While it should work, there is always the possibility that it wont (since its not an official MB upgrade or option yet) so if you dont want to take the chance you might consider waiting until I have a w204 back in the lab and can actually attempt the retrofit.
Thanks Rob, so even with the HD upgrade, I can still switch between normal AM/FM, HD Radio, WB, and Sirius? If so that is good as that is what i would want.

Let us all know when you can get that current telematics disc version number.

·
Premium Member
amg g55 / smart fortwo cab ? / E500
66 Posts
hd upgrade

Watch out for the HD reception in your community, please first check with other Mercedes Benz hd users in your area first !! the word is with many metropolisis the hd switching sucks and the one or two second delay between hd and analog is noticably bad , so be careful what you wish for, you cannot switch hd on and off. Once its in its in . Maybe do an Ipod and download some of the good stuff to that.
p.s. I do not know if metropolisis is a word.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Watch out for the HD reception in your community, please first check with other Mercedes Benz hd users in your area first !! the word is with many metropolisis the hd switching sucks and the one or two second delay between hd and analog is noticably bad , so be careful what you wish for, you cannot switch hd on and off. Once its in its in . Maybe do an Ipod and download some of the good stuff to that.
p.s. I do not know if metropolisis is a word.
Yep i did take a look, the number of stations dual broadcasting is growing. the switching between SAT stations is 1 sec or so so that won't bother me at all. i will finish my Nav install first, then start re-considering the Sirius/HD upgrade. I missed out on the RCVRs that were on ebay, as they sold too high for me when coming from an unknown source. I can get it at a known source for $700 with the capability to send it back if it does not work.

I do still want to know which current telematics disc version number.

and Yes it is a word, your spelling of it is just slightly off "Metropolis", i definitely knew what you meant.

·
Registered
RHD C200K Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
451 Posts
Hey C7nuru - you have a source that will take back MB electronics? Drop me a PM ;-)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey C7nuru - you have a source that will take back MB electronics? Drop me a PM ;-)
K-C200; Oh, I am not saying I could try it out first, sorry about that impression. As long as it is not installed, it can be sent back, if you install it, then the answer is no. I have had wrong part deliveries and have discovered that a part won't work before I have installed it and sent that back for a replacement correct part. I tend to try to find out if something is compatible upfront before I order it and try to install it. In this case, I was not willing to go ove a certain amount since the seller indicated "as is" and no refunds. The buyers got it for a great price and they probably has 2009 cars so they did not probably require a software upgrade.

·
Registered
RHD C200K Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
451 Posts
Nah, that's not what I was asking - the guys I'm getting parts from operate under a "no return" on non-DOA electronics orders. Wrong parts (as in "not what I ordered") or dead I've had no problems returning.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a US Spec NGT2.5 for a R171, but so far no joy for less than $3k usd - which is a bit over what I'm ready to spend right now..

I was in that auction with you, thought I had one at $125, which was my limit - you are right, they guy who got them at $150 did a good deal.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah, that's not what I was asking - the guys I'm getting parts from operate under a "no return" on non-DOA electronics orders. Wrong parts (as in "not what I ordered") or dead I've had no problems returning.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a US Spec NGT2.5 for a R171, but so far no joy for less than $3k usd - which is a bit over what I'm ready to spend right now..

I was in that auction with you, thought I had one at $125, which was my limit - you are right, they guy who got them at $150 did a good deal.
I might have went a little higher, but $150 for true "as is", is too high for me. Once I finalize the Nav, I will look for the Sirius/HD Module again. The cost $779 USD.

·
Premium Member
amg g55 / smart fortwo cab ? / E500
66 Posts
I did not mean the delay between stations while channel surfing, I meant while listening to a station if you are driving and go from the hd signal being received to the regular analog one the radio drops all audio for a second or two back and forth! it is annoying to those who have hd in a poor reception area. the sound is better on hd, but crystal clear commercials are not important to me. SDARS wins.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did not mean the delay between stations while channel surfing, I meant while listening to a station if you are driving and go from the hd signal being received to the regular analog one the radio drops all audio for a second or two back and forth! it is annoying to those who have hd in a poor reception area. the sound is better on hd, but crystal clear commercials are not important to me. SDARS wins.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I get it, oh, yeah that would definitely be very noticeable! It would be like the hiccups (ok, dry heaves), for one's ears!:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
HD Radio

Rob, I stumbled onto this old thread. Hoping you can help me. I just retrofit my 2006 SLK from Audio20 to Comand (NTG1). To my surprise, it works--except poor reception on AM and WB. I connected the existing antenna coax to the black FAKRA on the AGW. I don't know how to feed the yellow (mustard) FAKRA on the AGW. I'm guessing the black FAKRA is for FM and the yellow is AM/WB? Is the feed for the yellow FAKRA just a mechanical splice from the antenna coax, or is some type of splitter required? If so, do you know the part number? More fundamentally, if the black FAKRA is for AM and the yellow is for AM/WB, why wasn't the split done inside the AGW, instead of externally? Thanks, Bret

1 - 16 of 16 Posts