Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hopefully my title isn't too immature but as I was heading back from the post office, picking up my windshield washer pump and grommet, transmission filter, and Cabin Filter the car's hazard light which indicates ASR off or on came on.

There was no noticeable difference in driving I counted the duration of the light as it was on which timed in around 17 seconds but noticed this was not concrete because sometimes it would stay on longer sometimes not.

If I manually clicked the off position to the ASR button located next to the gear shifter the light would turn off, but only for the second I touched the button, it would then illuminate back to the ON position.

I plan on resetting the battery although I don't expect much out of it.
Im currently out of reach of the OBD-2 reader so until then im at the whim of the forum.

Please help me as I am all too familiar with electrical problems (alternator threads, if you're aware lol)

Could this have something to do with my rear passenger side tire failing(i can see metal threads)

Thank you guys

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
That can be uneven wheels, or sensor malfunction. Scanners are not big help on those things as for proper diagnosis you need the big computer.
Start with inspecting the wheels.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Heres some information I can pull up... Is ASR light the same light as ABS? I have a spare brand new AC/DELCO battery to test. fyi

Attachments

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quick test update:

Readings from Battery Directly (NO HAZARD LIGHT AT THE TIME)
12.45 Car off/Lights off
12.95 Car On

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That can be uneven wheels, or sensor malfunction. Scanners are not big help on those things as for proper diagnosis you need the big computer.
Start with inspecting the wheels.
Nothing out of the ordinary but a "more than low" tire. I don't want to inflate it back to normal pressure as high pressure, at high speeds, more likely to blow.
(New tire will be purchased sometime in the next few days)

·
Registered
36,717 Posts
quick test update:

Readings from Battery Directly (NO HAZARD LIGHT AT THE TIME)
12.45 Car off/Lights off
12.95 Car On
Don't tell me that after putting HOW MANY? new alternators this season you have another bad one?
Working alternator should put at least 13.5 V measured directly on the main cables, or 13.3 v on clima display.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh boy I surely hope were not going down that road again. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well partially good news, the climate control readout is reading 13.3V with full fan speed and compressor engaged to test out my new cabin air filters. :)

·
Registered
36,717 Posts
Remembering your post from the past - by now you should be expert on troubleshooting charging system, so how did you come out with wrong readings?
Old brushes like to act occasionally, but not new alternator. Keep voltage displayed during driving.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will do.... False readings could come from loose cable on multimeter. My negative cable is tricky, sometimes it reads sometimes it doesn't. I'm uploading pictures so STAY TUNED!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This clip was loose and since i've purchased the car i've known this comes loose over time but when I accidentally touched it when replacing windshield washper pump I noticed a little more play than usual. Its hard to say if it was completely disconnected, id say loose enough to make or break contact...question is, would this cause the light to appear?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
More information here, Never replaced the brake light switch... I couldn't tell if braking and light are related just yet, need to do more testing...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I have found the problem. Before heading out to a dinner I started her up to warm up a bit, after turning my back and having a cigarette( smoking kills! Dont smoke) I noticed my driver window down and I thought...I didn't touch the button... Then it hit me.

Under heavy rain the small rust spot in my sunroof leaks about a tablespoon of water into the cabin, specifically the front dome lamp which then leaks right ontop of the gear shifter. This morning that's just what happened.

I monitored the window in route to dinner and found the bulb under the driver window switch much dimmer than the others. The switch is not operational whereas others are.

If I close the windows via the Key after locking the doors it rolls up fine, this leads me to believe the switch is the problem, and the problem that caused my ASR light to illuminate. Btw it hasn't come back on since...

Problem likely and hopefully solved, will post back more when more is available.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So a little update, finished dinner at California Pizza Kitchen had a great Mushroom Ravioli, BUT ANYWAYS...

The light on the switch turned off and on, and became finicky while on the road, sometimes it would go down a bit and sometimes not... When I got home I couldn't see how to remove the switch from the frame it was on so ill get more information and give it a try tomorrow, as for the asr light I unplugged the male side and blew into the connection to dry any remaining water, I could see none.

No asr light flashing at all tonight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts