Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i dont know what to call it but im having withdrawls from working on the my 123's and my 114 because i have to put off buying parts for the holidays and i cant go outside to wash and wax the car because its cold. but, this weekend i plan on clearing some room in the garage so i can bring them in and think of some projects that does not involve spending a dime...it is time for a valve adjustment, and polish. anybody else going thru the same thing, any suggestions to keep my hands on the car.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Need projects?

How about a starter motor refresh?

PeachPartsWiki: Starter Motor Rebuild

Or an alternator refresh?

PeachPartsWiki: Refreshing the Alternator

If you are careful and you don't break anything you'll end up with two important parts on the car in better condition than when you started for almost no $$$$ - just a bit of air drying varnish...

...too much work? Too involved? Just post back - I've got more ideas - I'm sure I can keep you busy!

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I installed a new main vac line, took maybe five minutes.

The SD, on the other hand got new front shocks a few minutes ago, a friend may help with the rears. The weather the past couple of days has been wonderful, thankfully.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am in this boat as well, w123 projects are getting put off till Q1 2012. I want to rebuild/renozzle my injectors, brake pads, brake discs, brake hoses, front wheel bearings, front end rebuild. Also would like to start prep work for a paint job this winter while she's garaged. Not to mention the work I need to finish up the restoration on my 64 impala. No matter what I do I will never have enough money!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I don't do much in the way of driving around the holidays simply because the traffic sucks this time of year and there are a ton of mindless idiots bombing around in their filthy overloaded cars spending money they don't have on junk made in China. I try to group my projects together so I can work on them when I have time off from school/work instead of having to do it when I need the car.

There's plenty of things I'd love to be working on right now but I just don't have the time nor the funds for non-essential upgrades like new speakers, cocoa mats, driving lights, a ham radio, lowering the suspension, etc... School comes first (and boy am I glad I put some of my summer earnings aside for it because buying friggin' text books is really devastating to my wallet along with registration fees blah blah blah.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
The Idle time problem was solved for me; my 15 year old Washer stopped spinning properly.

I have it apart on my Porch right now.

I ordered some of the related parts like the Clutch and the Motor Drive Coupling that were rather cheap on eBay.

However, at this point symptoms seem like it is the slow speed part of the 2 speed Motor is shot.

I have not ordered it but the $145 Motor cost $71 (no brand name)on eBay.

So there is always something that needs fixing.

The Washer is much easier to work on than a Mercedes is!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
well, i dont know what to call it but im having withdrawls from working on the my 123's and my 114 because i have to put off buying parts for the holidays and i cant go outside to wash and wax the car because its cold. but, this weekend i plan on clearing some room in the garage so i can bring them in and think of some projects that does not involve spending a dime...it is time for a valve adjustment, and polish. anybody else going thru the same thing, any suggestions to keep my hands on the car.
Too bad you live so far from me, I could use an extra set of hands!:thumbsup:

Dave

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Need projects?

How about a starter motor refresh?

PeachPartsWiki: Starter Motor Rebuild

Or an alternator refresh?

PeachPartsWiki: Refreshing the Alternator

If you are careful and you don't break anything you'll end up with two important parts on the car in better condition than when you started for almost no $$$$ - just a bit of air drying varnish...

...too much work? Too involved? Just post back - I've got more ideas - I'm sure I can keep you busy!
Thanks for putting up those links! I will keep it all in mind!

Dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its 40 degrees here in south texas, i know thats not cold to some nothern areas where its snowing but its either hot and humid during the summer or cold and wet in the winter so that gives me a bout 2 good months between the seasons to do some work on the cars without throwing in the towel because of the weather. any who it was 30 this morning and my 300cd didnt want to start this morning which im not suprised it happened to me last year. its ok i enjoy the issues, i treat my cars like people so i dont blame them for not not wanting to work sometimes and wanting attention all the time... alteast they dont talk back.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
its 40 degrees here in south texas, i know thats not cold to some nothern areas where its snowing but its either hot and humid during the summer or cold and wet in the winter so that gives me a bout 2 good months between the seasons to do some work on the cars without throwing in the towel because of the weather.

I'm surprised it gets that cold in Corpus. So what 2 months do you work on your cars?

any who it was 30 this morning and my 300cd didnt want to start this morning which im not suprised it happened to me last year.

Glow plugs?

its ok i enjoy the issues, i treat my cars like people so i dont blame them for not not wanting to work sometimes and wanting attention all the time... alteast they dont talk back.
That's a workable attitude!

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts