Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
<2003_C240><1998_SL500>
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Friday was the first time my car did this. We went to the store and we were in there a couple of hours. When we came out the car wouldn't start, it would turn over fine and everything worked as normal except it never fired off. After a few times I let it sit for a couple of minutes and it cranked fine, but the check engine light came on. We only live a few blocks away and the light stayed on the whole way and after getting home. So I fiddled with it a bit checked the gas cap, it was fine, and went to bed. The next day it cranked fine no light.
So, I drove it all day Saturday cranked it several times no problems. After driving to church on Sunday, when it was time to leave same problem. It just wouldn't fire off. No lights, no signs to point to this is the problem, nothing. Just turn over and not start. I moved the gear shift, played with the steering wheel, looked under the hood, check the gas cap, shook the car, nothing. So, we abandoned it in the parking till after lunch, came back and it started fine, but this time with no light. I drove it again until Tuesday where after attending a funeral we went to leave and it wouldn't start. So I tried a couple of times and abandoned it again for a few hours. Of course when I came back it started fine with no check engine light. Now I don't know what to do. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the behavior. It's not giving me anything to go on.
The only pattern I'm finding is that tomorrow it will likely leave me stranded again and I'm growing a bit weary of that. Any suggestions would be great. Has anyone else had this trouble? Where do I start to look? Is it just some sensor or relay somewhere that needs to be replaced? Also, should I buy a '98 Dark Blue SL500 with 54K miles on it for about 18 grand? Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
Start with the codes. It set a Check Engine light, that means there's at least one stored code.

About the SL, try in the SL forum.

·
Registered
2003 MB C320
3 Posts
No, but often your local auto parts store will let you use their code reader for free.
Dude my C320 just started doing the EXACT same thing today, trying to roll over but doesnt fire up, then a while latter it starts up. The only difference is that mine turned off on me 2 houses down from my place UGHH. I think Im to blame for my problems since I ran out of gas the day before last (right in front of the pump no less :eek:). Im thinking its in the fuel delivery OR the park plugs, since I had an issue with them not to long ago. Again, just like you no "MALFUNCTION" readings just the "CHECK ENGINE" light!!! I hope someone out there has some advice.

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
The Check Engine light _is_ a malfunction reading, you just need a code reader to get the code out. Read the codes, bring the number here!

BTW, stalls and hard starts on the V6 might be the CPS.

·
Registered
2003 MB C320
3 Posts
The Check Engine light _is_ a malfunction reading, you just need a code reader to get the code out. Read the codes, bring the number here!

BTW, stalls and hard starts on the V6 might be the CPS.
^^^^Thanks Zeet, will do...

·
Registered
<2003_C240><1998_SL500>
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will Try

Thanks everybody, I'm pricing code readers right now, but have a friend that has one in the mean time. I'll get the codes and go from there. Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 C240 girlfriend car
23 Posts
I am 90% sure your problem is the CPS. Do a search on the forum.........the part cost like $60 bucks online. We had the same problems....

·
Registered
<2003_C240><1998_SL500>
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. After it stranded me three times I dropped it at the mechanics house that does my work. Was hoping to avoid it, but not a fan of being stranded.

·
Registered
2003 MB C320
3 Posts
What up dudes,

Sooo I took my car to Adv. Auto parts to get the codes but by the time I got there the "check engine" light turned off and the guy said there were no error codes! (but I suspect he didnt known what he was doing) Anyway I ordered the CPS and changed it out last sunday and BAMMM - no more problems. THANKS ZEET, you got it right!!! But man is it a pain in the a$$ to reach that thing.

·
Registered
<2003_C240><1998_SL500>
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got the codes from the car today after it died in the road on my wife. The car is PO335 Crank shaft position sensor. Is it a good idea to just change this sensor or is something causing the problem? Any suggestions?
Here's what the book says for the code. #
# P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

·
Registered
<2003_C240><1998_SL500>
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I'm online now searching for the lowest price for the sensor. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of days and we will see what happens.:confused:

·
Registered
02 C32, 08 C350, 00 CLK320 (sis'), 01 ML430 (gone)
1,698 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I'm online now searching for the lowest price for the sensor. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of days and we will see what happens.:confused:
check ebay. friend bought one for only $25 a while back. a quick search found the lowest price around $35 right now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts