Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my '91 W126 has the original Becker sound system. not the best, its in great condition soundwise.

i've looked into replacing it with a newer headunit, but i'm not trying to do too much work at this point in time.

the problem i've encountered was that my right channel speakers all work great. amp is good. the left side was dead, but i could plug in the right side amp and everything works.

so i've had my dead amp in a repair shop for a few days. Becker isnt something they usually work on. so i first got the amp back and it was still not oporating. took it back today and brought the car along since it was easier to trace the problem with it plugged into the car.

sofar i've had a main capacitor that was burned out and now they found a bad wire that wasnt really visable that goes to the relay on the amps circuit board. i'm going back in about 45 minutes to see if its fixed or will need more work.

i've used this same repair shop to fix tv sets and high power amps. i've spend a small amount of money to repair something that otherwise would be quite costly to replace. i honestly would like to put new amps and head unit in the car but its just nice to have an original unit that is untampered with.

i'm hoping my amp works with this set of repairs. i'm happy to know these parts are repairable, contrary to what others have told me.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True they do repair their parts. They also charge more than I wanted to spend. The repair shop I used is local. They are not fancy by any means. But their people really know their stuff.

I have used them numerous times. This stereo is sounding great. It needed the relays remote on wire replaced as well.

BTW these are actually Bose amps that are used. Not Becker. Just made for their applications.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the guy that worked on my amp also said he repairs the vacuum pods and modules as well. sounds like i found my solution to fixing things on this car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts