Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'94 E320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told to come here since this site is apparently better than MBworld for tech help.

Basically, the car developed a shimmy today on I4 and I checked the power steering pump, it needs a fluid change which I plan to do soon. The shimmy occurs at about 55mph+ and I do not feel it's safe to drive above 50mph in the car. My question is, what could the problem be?

It's not so much a shimmy as it is a pull, it'll pull one way or the other and the steering will become light, like it wants to veer one direction, and I have to pull it back.

So who can help me, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,454 Posts
shock

There is a stabalizer shock on the stering assembly. Sounds like it died on ya if its pulling. But a shimmy is bent rims or brake disc not true or wheel bearings, so i hope its pulling.

·
Registered
'94 E320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely pulling, definitely DON'T know why I said a shimmy when it's clearly not a shimmy at all.

Where would I be looking to find this stabilizer shock? My father is CONVINCED that it's the power steering pump and that I need to fill it to the brim and that it's supposed to be red, though I was told that it should be yellow and it's perfectly full as is, he refuses to believe it could possibly be anything else.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,506 Posts
The MB World site is basically dead. I started out there some years back but traffic is so low it's pretty much useless. *THIS* is the place to be.
As for fluid level, fuggedaboudit. The only way you'd get slop in the steering linkage from low fluid level is if the system was totally dry. Keep your dad away from the reservoir.
Pulling to the left or right is usually alignment related. That could be an out-of-spec alignment from a worn tie rod end, center link, or ball joint. Loose wheel bearings could also cause pulling. Even a bad tire.
Check each of these areas for wear and if you don't feel able to do it then have a competent shop do it.
The thing that's not making sense to me is the speed related part. Worn steering linkage parts cause pulling at low speeds as well as high. You may want to swap front and rear wheel/tire assemblies to see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
'94 E320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The MB World site is basically dead. I started out there some years back but traffic is so low it's pretty much useless. *THIS* is the place to be.
As for fluid level, fuggedaboudit. The only way you'd get slop in the steering linkage from low fluid level is if the system was totally dry. Keep your dad away from the reservoir.
Pulling to the left or right is usually alignment related. That could be an out-of-spec alignment from a worn tie rod end, center link, or ball joint. Loose wheel bearings could also cause pulling. Even a bad tire.
Check each of these areas for wear and if you don't feel able to do it then have a competent shop do it.
The thing that's not making sense to me is the speed related part. Worn steering linkage parts cause pulling at low speeds as well as high. You may want to swap front and rear wheel/tire assemblies to see if the problem goes away.
I noticed this morning that when slowly accelerating or maintaining about 10-15mph, the car feels like it's swaying back and forth, sort of like if something was bent and causing the wheel to spin at an awkward angle, so now I'm certain it has nothing to do with the power steering.

·
Registered
1990 300CE
72 Posts
Beyond you & dad's skill level

"I" would take it to a competent alignment shop and have them look it over. This situation could cause an accident, and then you won't have to worry about it any more. :(

·
Registered
W124
5,647 Posts
The bushings in the rear suspension links go bad and will steer the car under certain circumstances. Make sure you check them over as part of your inspection process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts