Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 380 SL. 98 lexus GS 300 2000 Toy tundra
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:surrender:
It's not in the right kick panel - check behind the glove box by removing the cover under it.
Remove the glove box. Two or three fasteners and you get best access.
They're both wrong. Remove the passenger side fender and sneak up on it from behind. It'll never know what hit it.
I really appreciate the help. So far I have removed the whole right side of my 81 380sl and have stumbled on several relays behind the glove box. Some are silver others are black and even a nice anodized red one. is there one tell tale give away description or a pic for the fuel pump relay???

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,494 Posts

I really appreciate the help. So far I have removed the whole right side of my 81 380sl and have stumbled on several relays behind the glove box. Some are silver others are black and even a nice annidised red one is there one tell tale give away description or a pic for the fuel pump relay???
Look familiar?

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,494 Posts
And another.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 380 SL. 98 lexus GS 300 2000 Toy tundra
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would those be the same circuit #'s to look for as well?
much much much thanks

·
Registered
1976 450 SL
1,210 Posts
Although I never really confirmed the fact that it was the fuel pump relay, the only relay I found that resembled it was below the steering column,,,,,

·
Registered
1976 450 SL
1,210 Posts
OK, since my dash is still partly disassembled. I'm going back in to confirm whether or not the 76 450SL even has a FPR and if so where is it!

I'm tellin ya, the only relay that looks like the one posted as the FPR is near the steering column. Unless it is one of the silver /tin types.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's an interesting one. 380sl 1985. Car starts and idles decent but get hick ups no matter if cold or warm. the fuel pump cuts out frequently for about a second and hear sometimes a clicking sound by the passenger footwell. My question is... If the relay was bad wouldn't the pump just die and engine stop. can a relay disconnect and engage again after a second or spit second? Has anyone heard such a thing?

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
Here's an interesting one. 380sl 1985. Car starts and idles decent but get hick ups no matter if cold or warm. the fuel pump cuts out frequently for about a second and hear sometimes a clicking sound by the passenger footwell. My question is... If the relay was bad wouldn't the pump just die and engine stop. can a relay disconnect and engage again after a second or spit second? Has anyone heard such a thing?
A weak relay can fail intermittently. Find the clicking and replace that relay.

·
Registered
Mercedes 1982 380 SL, 2002 E320 4matic, 1988 560 SEL Navy Blue
114 Posts

I really appreciate the help. So far I have removed the whole right side of my 81 380sl and have stumbled on several relays behind the glove box. Some are silver others are black and even a nice anodized red one. is there one tell tale give away description or a pic for the fuel pump relay???
Maybe this can help you, right behind the glove box. Small rectangular cube black in color... From my 1982 380 SL

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
My way of thinking, if you hear the relay clicking, it's not the relay. It would be something that controls the relay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts