Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am thinking about trading my Focus off on this 260E. I need something more reliable and I've never been let down by a Mercedes. I found this Deusey but where is this hood from. I think I've seen it before but I can't remember where. I personally think it's kinda gaudy... but at least it's not a Focus! :D

Oh... and of course the usual, what should I look for on a 1987 W124 260E auto?

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
In the 80s, it became "something different" to put an SEC-like hood and grill on the w124. They never looked right to me. Totally aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I like it, the only thing that bothered me is that the fog lights are visible through the grill. It makes it look corny and cheap. IMHO.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What I've learned about 26OE

Hi, I am thinking about trading my Focus off on this 260E. I need something more reliable and I've never been let down by a Mercedes. I found this Deusey but where is this hood from. I think I've seen it before but I can't remember where. I personally think it's kinda gaudy... but at least it's not a Focus! :D

Oh... and of course the usual, what should I look for on a 1987 W124 260E auto?

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!
Mark

Don't know if this helps. But I've learned that oil usage is an issue with these babies. Stem seals and valve guides. Conventional wisdom is that they wear somewhere around 100k or if it's really old because of some materials issues.

Don't put resistor plugs in them. Bosch coppers seem to be best, but can be difficult to get.

Don't put synthetic old in.

Basically, timewarp to the year of the car and replace with things available at the time, nothing newfangled.

The radio likely does not need a code if you replace it with ath 780 or the next one up. Just not the one with the brushed aluminum on the face.

They leak oil around the timing chain. Again some sort of materials issue with the head gasket.

If the headlight door is broken, it's a tough replace from the junkyard because almost all of them are brittle and/or broken.

Just some stuff I learned that you may find useful. If not, then not.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
All the stuff you've said is true but I can't speak for the radio part. No experience with that.

The M103 does leak oil at the timing chain cover but that has nothing to do with the head gasket. The chain cover is a two-piece affair and the polymer seal that goes between the upper and lower parts eventually allows oil to seep out.

http://bos-engel.com/benz/lowerseal.jpg

As for the headlamp doors, yes, they yellow, crack, and eventually break. In my experience they last about 10 years before looking bad enough that you need to replace them. The Bosch parts run about $100 each IIRC.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
there are plenty of older E-classes around; if i were you, i'd wait for one that hasn't been messed with this much. that hood is horrendous, and if the prior owner did that, who knows what else he did. you're much safer buying one that's clean, well-maintained, and stock. patience... :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
All the stuff you've said is true but I can't speak for the radio part. No experience with that.

The M103 does leak oil at the timing chain cover but that has nothing to do with the head gasket. The chain cover is a two-piece affair and the polymer seal that goes between the upper and lower parts eventually allows oil to seep out.

http://bos-engel.com/benz/lowerseal.jpg

As for the headlamp doors, yes, they yellow, crack, and eventually break. In my experience they last about 10 years before looking bad enough that you need to replace them. The Bosch parts run about $100 each IIRC.
it looks like he has Euro lights installed. Doesn't taht mean an all glass housing and no yellowing? I thought yellowing occured only in the Non_Euro headlamps with plastic headlamp doors for the foglights/sealedbeam headlight?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd wait as well. I looked @ 6 or 7 before I found mine, and I think I came out on top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts