Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the rear accums replaced two years ago,I rarely drive the car, and notice that on freeway driving, the rear suspension has a rolling, sofa-like feel, almost a "fishtail" feeling sometimes. It doesn't affect my driving, but it is bothersome. Could it be that the accums have already failed, or is this just the limo ride of the W140? This is with nobody sitting in the rear seats. If I step on rear bumper when parked, there is no bounce, it seems firm. I don't want to spend again on accums, maybe I just have to live with it?

·
Registered
94 - S500 Cpe
400 Posts
I had the rear accums replaced two years ago,I rarely drive the car, and notice that on freeway driving, the rear suspension has a rolling, sofa-like feel, almost a "fishtail" feeling sometimes.

If I step on rear bumper when parked, there is no bounce, it seems firm. I don't want to spend again on accums, maybe I just have to live with it?
Two tests to try: push down on the back bumper to get the car going-up-and-down, then let go . . . it should come back to neutral . . or it MIGHT just overshoot "slightly".

Better test: drive over the SPEED BUMPS . . slowly and see what the rear end does; it shouldn't BOUNCE up and down . . . if so the accumulators s/b replaced.

Here's my saga -- here -- if you want to see what happened. Replaced both accumulators and fixed a leaking strut.

My accumulators were apx 10 years old but only had 4 - 5K miles on them. So they can fail.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,882 Posts
Great repair article at "here"! Jim's website has all sorts of 140 info and is worth while taking a look. Jim, I switched to Continental Extreme Contacts on my coupe and am quite pleased with them.
Anziani

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
424 Posts
I would not spend the money to repair the original ADS in the W140. if it becomes defective, it will go full firm setting, I'd leave it there. if I did attempt a repair, the best route is remove all the adaptive damping shocks, lines, etc. and disable it. install standard springs and shocks similar to what's on a W140 without ADS. it's a helluva lot cheaper and won't ever break again for your lifetime or life of the car. this was yet another system MB installed to reach their price point of $135k, that was very unreliable in the long run. I can show you the early warranty history for my car, and it was an MB company execs car for the main office in NJ, USA- and it had several ADS problems right from the get go when brand new. mine appears to be working because after I repaired the hydraulic lines, it did pump the back of the car up a bit. the best setting for these cars is the sport button with the stiffer ride anyway, it's a heavy car and needs it, that's what makes it handle the best. I see no difference with my car, with the sport button on or off, so it probably has defaulted to stiff due to some defect in the system, but I could care less. it rides great and handles like a 2 seater sports car, why argue with success. some of these superfluous options aren't worth the hassle and expense to repair them. I'd rather spend the money on the basics like tires and brakes and exhaust, and engine tune up parts. even spending it on gasoline to drive the car more would be money better spent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts