Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 320
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in med school in Dublin, Ireland but my '01 CLK is sitting in the garage in Memphis, TN. I am considering getting it shipped over here this fall since it will be useful when I have to start going to the hospital, which is 30-40 min. outside the city centre.

Do you think this is a wise decision and do you think servicing at the dealer here would pose any problems with my car being an American version?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
I would think..

It would be cheaper for you to sell it in the US and buy one there.

As for service, it should be the same.

·
Registered
CLK 320
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that ...

but I was amazed to learn that a CLK 320 has a base price of €70,000, which would be approximately $77,000 with today's exchange rate and keep in mind that's just the base price. I've thought about buying a car here instead, but the prices in Ireland are just ridiculous compared to the rest of Europe including the UK and honestly, I really love my car.

Also, it costs $2200 to ship the car from Memphis to New Jersey to Dublin via a private container on a ship.

I think in all honesty, I'm trying to give you the information that I have and see what you would do so that I can rationalize to myself this whole thing.

·
Registered
C32
7 Posts
Well, the things I'd be asking are: How long will I be in Europe? Do I need my CLK or c...

Well, the things I'd be asking are: How long will I be in Europe? Do I need my CLK or can I buy some other transport while I'm here and simply sell that when I return to the states. Assuming I AM returning to the states, of course!

Shipping will take a bit of time, and remember to double the costs (I guess) if you're planning to ship it back.

On the other hand, it sounds like it might be a good investment to ship it over, drive it while you're there, and sell it ($77K ?!?!) then use the cash to buy a new one when you return, plus pocket the difference.

·
Registered
CLK AMG55 Cabriolet
12 Posts
Re: I thought about that ...

but I was amazed to learn that a CLK 320 has a base price of €70,000, which would be approximately $77,000 with today's exchange rate and keep in mind that's just the base price. I've thought about buying a car here instead, but the prices in Ireland are just ridiculous compared to the rest of Europe including the UK and honestly, I really love my car.

Also, it costs $2200 to ship the car from Memphis to New Jersey to Dublin via a private container on a ship.

I think in all honesty, I'm trying to give you the information that I have and see what you would do so that I can rationalize to myself this whole thing.
Go for it. Based on the price of a similar car in Ireland, and your obvious love for your current car, you would regret not making this move for the remainder of your stay. Life is too short -- indulge yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts