Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 clk 500 cabriolet
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I ended up installing unity front struts and rear shocks on my 2005 clk500 and what seems to be right afterwards Im experiancing a droning vibration between 65and 85 mph. It doesnt feel like the front because the steering wheel isnt shaking at all. If anything feels like it COULD be the rear maybe ?? Its a vibration that sort of comes in waves every 2-3 seconds. I did notice I had alot of rear tire wear and also it is uneven wear with the inside of the wheels more worn than the rest. I have read that , that could mean a camber issue. Im not even sure that the tire wear has anything to do with the vibration or if it was the suspension work.... A MB mechanic told me " its got to be a coincidenence , the only thing that would cause your droning is the tourque converter ! So i figured why not, Ill change the tranny fluid. Well it didnt solve the droning vibration but did make the car shift much smoother ! Im wondering if anyones got any input here? Could it be due to tires , or cheap suspension parts? By the way the fcp euro strut package (300.00$) is much stiffer and less smooth riding than the old stuff I had on there. Thanks for any ideas , Not sure where to go from here. And by the way can I go with 245/45/zr17 on the rear vs. whats on there which is 245/40/zr17???

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
3,736 Posts
Stew Could you have one of the rubber cushions missing, or upside down where the rear shock goes through the hole in the body rubbers are shaped to fit in the hole ..The rubber washers if you like are meant to go through the hole in the body and isolate the shaft of the shockabsober from rubbing the body.

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
2,356 Posts
Check tyre pressures...is it any different if tyre pressures are reduced down to say 25 psi.?
Check rear wheel bearings for noise..
Check driveshaft centre support bearing for wear and also the front and rear rubber couplings/guibo/ flex disc.

·
Registered
1982 380SEC, 2014 ML350 4Matic
246 Posts
Get a new set of tires before you go too far in a different direction. For normal driving I don’t believe you would ever know the difference in tire size.

·
Registered
2005 clk 500 cabriolet
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for the late reply... no I checked the rubber bushings,all are in place!
And as far as new tires ... Im on tire rack right now shopping for some new tires. I will update as soon as new ones are on the car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts