Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the chronic check engine light (CEL) problem with the correct 2ndary air code so I'm presuming my '99 C280 has a bad Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)

Have any of you tried the $50 Chinese duplicate MAF offered on eBay? This individual specializes in this type of duplicate piece and has an extremely satisfied eBay customer base -

Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-05-Mercedes-C280-C320-E320-Mass-Airflow-Sensor-NEW-/400190092800?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2d303600#ht_1160wt_776

·
Registered
99' C43 AMG "T Rex", Ultima Sports Can-Am (in build)
233 Posts
Don't mess around with cheap crap made stuff. Too expensive even if they are cheap and will be source of problems. Get OEM products. More expensive but cheaper on the long run. Just my experience and 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1998 C43
701 Posts
you can try to find out who the original equipment supplier is and order directly from them. this would ensure that the part is 100% identical to genuine mercedes without the price hike up.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I've got the chronic check engine light (CEL) problem with the correct 2ndary air code so I'm presuming my '99 C280 has a bad Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)

Have any of you tried the $50 Chinese duplicate MAF offered on eBay? This individual specializes in this type of duplicate piece and has an extremely satisfied eBay customer base -

Here's a link: 98-05 Mercedes C280/C320/E320 Mass Airflow Sensor NEW - eBay (item 400190092800 end time Jan-29-11 22:57:32 PST)
What code(s) is it actually displaying? Secondary air code sounds like one of the P04xx series, which has nothing to do with the MAF.

Also, note that you posted into the AMG forum, and no one in here has your engine...not that I don't agree 110% with their advice to avoid knockoff MAF sensors. If you actually need one, realize that you're spreading a $100 cost "savings" over 10 years or 100,000 miles, and if it is not working properly, it may turn out the CEL but you could end up destroying your CATs, which ware lots more money.

If you actually need a MAF, you can purchase the OEM Bosch online from reputable sellers for well under $200. Autohausaz.com is one such vendor and many people (myself included) use them regularly. Spend $50 and you get free shipping, too, even on something hugely heavy like a rotor. :)

Good luck; see you in the sedan 202 forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't mess around with cheap crap made stuff. Too expensive even if they are cheap and will be source of problems. Get OEM products. More expensive but cheaper on the long run. Just my experience and 2 cents worth.
I just ordered, received and installed a $56 MAF from an ebay vendor called Import_Auto_Performance ...

Virtually identical part, right down to the molded in part numbers and little mold marks/discrepancies. This piece is being made by the same people who make the $244 OEM Mercedes part.

Buy the ebay one - this guy has 13000 positive votes (I'm not affiliated in any way with this supplier) and has to be doing something right.

·
Registered
1996 C36 AMG
67 Posts
I just ordered, received and installed a $56 MAF from an ebay vendor called Import_Auto_Performance ...

Virtually identical part, right down to the molded in part numbers and little mold marks/discrepancies. This piece is being made by the same people who make the $244 OEM Mercedes part.

Buy the ebay one - this guy has 13000 positive votes (I'm not affiliated in any way with this supplier) and has to be doing something right.
i bet it doesnt last. the part will look identical yes, but the quality and issues come from the sensor part inside the plastic housing which the chinese companies have a difficult time with copying. watch your fuel consumption too, because they usually affect that too and you might be paying alot more in fuel..

·
Registered
1998 C43
701 Posts
i bet it doesnt last. the part will look identical yes, but the quality and issues come from the sensor part inside the plastic housing which the chinese companies have a difficult time with copying. watch your fuel consumption too, because they usually affect that too and you might be paying alot more in fuel..
i bought an OES fan from deutschpartsusa and it failed 2 months later. it was a mere $15 difference between OEM. i learned my lesson. the two looked identical.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts

Ebay feedback is meaningless on something like this; all that means is that the CEL went off, it doesn't mean it's properly modulating fuel trim and IAT (the benz MAF does double duty).

And China makes some of the best fake Rolexes in the world, too. They look in some cases identical to the real thing. The guts on the other hand...

So, what's your point?

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
Dude, C'mon- the OEM piece typically goes over 80K miles before it fails, it's under $200 for a complete one, and almost 1/2 that for a BOSCH insert.

It's not going to break the bank buying it. What you have now WILL cause problems in the near future. Yours might even be someone elses dead core. How do you know? I have 2 sitting on the shelf that look like new and are dead.

rjp

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anybody provide Air Mass Sensor.

2 factors is very important.
1. Whether or not this company can manufacture both the air flow sensor and also the sensor chip? Since the purpose of chip is very important. If it cannot sense the air flow quantity, it's useless for the air flow sensor products.

2. Can this air flow sensor company do any calibration & test process, what's their deviation rate for the voltage output ? if below 2%, and also they can show their factory photo as well as the detailed data for these, it proves the air flow sensor can work.

Actually, some private small enterprise in Wenzhou city in China only buy bad chip for low cost supplier, and their calibration & test equipment neither are advanced, meanwhile, the quality is not assured.

I personally think, if one organization show test report for these products, things might be changed. If by doing so, the quality of air flow sensor for end-user can be assured.

Regards
Gavin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts