Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
I have the "Ultimate White" 100/90W blue tinted bulbs. They make everything look slightly blue. White road signs especially.

With the lights off, from head on you can see the blue reflected. It looks like I have blue buckets in there. From the side, the effect goes away. With the lights on, the city lights add whiteness to the blue. A neat look, I think.

For fogs, I am using yellow 55/65W? Whatever normal wattage is.

Neither bulbs are street legal. I might eventually either put the original H4's back in or get some lower wattage blue bulbs. Everything is so bright I can't help thinking that I'm blinding other drivers.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
I have the "Ultimate White" 100/90W blue tinted bulbs. They make everything look slightly blue. White road signs especially.

With the lights off, from head on you can see the blue reflected. It looks like I have blue buckets in there. From the side, the effect goes away. With the lights on, the city lights add whiteness to the blue. A neat look, I think.

For fogs, I am using yellow 55/65W? Whatever normal wattage is.

Neither bulbs are street legal. I might eventually either put the original H4's back in or get some lower wattage blue bulbs. Everything is so bright I can't help thinking that I'm blinding other drivers.
how long have u had those bulbs in there? the 100 watters? no probs with alternator or anything?

·
Registered
Mercedes 600
1,171 Posts
obaja said:
how long have u had those bulbs in there? the 100 watters? no probs with alternator or anything?
I think the 100s may have contributed to my battery dying...but then of course there were other factors that impacted it life as well such as age and that I had the A/C running, cd player, wipers et al running the night before it died.

·
Registered
1982 280ce Australia
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think they still only draw 60/55 watts....but because they emitt more light they rate them at 100/90

However....the 150/130 rated ones do draw more current !

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Daniel Stern Lighting said:
What about real Xenon headlamps that are blue from the factory?

Genuine arc-discharge (also called metal-halide HID) headlamps run with a very purplish-white character similar to an electronic photoflash, because the same technology is at work—an electrical arc jumping through an atmosphere of Xenon gas. But despite the purplish appearance, this light is actually white with a discrete blue component. That is, most of the light from a Xenon headlamp is white, and there is also blue.

The emerging understanding is that there may be not only a split between the glare-sensitive and non-glare-sensitive amongst the populace, but also among those particularly sensitive to blue, violet and/or near-UV light, and those not particularly sensitive to these wavelengths—with these sensitivities NOT necessarily being linked! This helps explain why some find High Intensity Discharge headlamps menacingly painful and consider them hazardous to share the road with, while others consider them no problem at all.

Researchers are currently working on tweaking the output spectrum of automotive HIDs to eliminate the useless-for-seeing spike in the high blue which causes this reaction in blue-sensitive individuals.

The blue signal images from HID and from blue-tinted halogen lamps arise from two wholly separate phenomena, and therefore can't be directly compared. The main thing is to keep in mind that the blue signal image of an HID headlamp is a throwaway byproduct of a light source that also emits a great deal of white light, while the blue signal image of a blue-tinted halogen lamp is the meager blue ouput left when all the rest of the light has been trapped by the filter.

These I have in right now say that they are 95% xenon. And I think they are also blue tinted.
Yeah, I'll probably end up putting the old ones back in. These do look pretty cool, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts