Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AC stopped working on my 2003 G500. Shop says AC condensor needs to be replaced as it is leaking, Also suggest replacing the dryer at the same time = big bucks.

Looks like a fairly straightforward job, but obviously a lot of disassembly and reassembly. I can get quality parts with a warranty online way cheaper than the dealer.

Questions : anybody ever done this themselves ? What are the pitfalls ? Are the refrigerant connections easy to deal with ?

Thanks for any help !

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
AC stopped working on my 2003 G500. Shop says AC condensor needs to be replaced as it is leaking, Also suggest replacing the dryer at the same time = big bucks.

Looks like a fairly straightforward job, but obviously a lot of disassembly and reassembly. I can get quality parts with a warranty online way cheaper than the dealer.

Questions : anybody ever done this themselves ? What are the pitfalls ? Are the refrigerant connections easy to deal with ?

Thanks for any help !
I've done it on both my old 280GE and my 2000 G500. You absolutely MUST have a vacuum pump as well as the pressure manifold to do the job. It really is a job best done by a qualified and reliable A/C shop.

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dutch - appreciate your insight based upon experience. Sounds like it is a little more involved than I want to tackle so I will prolly just buy the parts online and take them to my (excellent) indy repair guy for the install.

Is it just me or do MBZ in general have unreliable AC systems ? 3 out of 4 MBZ I have owned have had climate control problems of one sort or another ...

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
I've done it on my G320. It's not a complicated job, it just takes a while to get to everything. I highly recommend using ziplock bags to keep the nuts and bolts sorted to they don't all mix together. Once you dig in, you will know what I mean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts