Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I was wondering who here has pulled out the inline 6 and added a v8. I am thinking of going the LS route. I know they are in abundance in all the scrap yards. If so how hard was it. my main concern is space. i would love to go big block but im not in the mood to cut up the car for space. If anyone is wondering why, its because im sick of the Zenith carbs. i have put so much time in them but i feel they are never perfect. Also i want more power. Thank you

·
Registered
'71 250C, '04 E320 Sport Wagon
150 Posts
Hello all. I was wondering who here has pulled out the inline 6 and added a v8. I am thinking of going the LS route. I know they are in abundance in all the scrap yards. If so how hard was it. my main concern is space. i would love to go big block but im not in the mood to cut up the car for space. If anyone is wondering why, its because im sick of the Zenith carbs. i have put so much time in them but i feel they are never perfect. Also i want more power. Thank you
I have observed a 350ci chevy swap. It is not easy!! Steering will have to be replaced with a Rack and Pinion. The original steering box is way too large and the V8 will not clear. Believe me when I say converting to R&P steering is not easy. Getting a proper turning radius is quite complicated and a lot of science, math, and geometry will be necessary to get it right. After you get the math right, you will then have to find an R&P that will fit your application. Japanese units seem to work the best based on physical size alone. Maybe? I had a '66 250SE with a 302 Ford and a Ford AOD transmission. I never did get the turning radius correct. It was way too large. I sold the vehicle that way. A totally new cross-member will have to be fabricated to clear the oil pan. The one I observed finally gave up and went with a dry sump with a remote oil reservoir. The transmission tunnel will have to be enlarged and of course, transmission and motor mounts will have to be fabricated. Radiator positioning may have to be altered. The best option would be, in my opinion, would be to transplant a later model Mercedes inline 6 cyl. and trans. I think the steering and oil pan clearance problems would be minimal. Maybe? You will never do enough homework if you take this route. Good Luck.

·
Outstanding Contributor, Vintage Moderator
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro 300sel5spd R+C107galore
24,850 Posts
I always say the only w114/115 I’d buy (again) would be a 1973 m110 version to get the cool gen1 parts and smoking windows, but also the fact that the diagonal supports in the engine bay are gone. I assume I’d be able to put an injected m110 into one of these, and put a manual trans on it too. That combo is fun enough for a 107. So I imagine it would be a hoot in a w114.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i did a little investigating and am worried about the steering also. The trans tunnel is no problem, I can cut and replace very easily. Also am worried about the position of the motor mounts. Now i am toying with maybe just going with a 6 from a newer model, w124 perhaps. I had a 300e and i think the motor might fit in nicely. If not then i am stuck with what i have.

·
Outstanding Contributor, Vintage Moderator
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro 300sel5spd R+C107galore
24,850 Posts
The trick with an m103 is that you’d either have to get really rare parts from a r107 300sl like motor mounts (and oil pan), or fabricate your own. I do think that the m103 makes sense being a SOHC motor, probably “fitting” ok if you happened upon the right version.

·
Registered
71 300SEL, 16 BMW Z4, 58 MGA, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,425 Posts
The size of a V8 is the issue - have you considered a modern I6? There are a ton of options there, including BMWs, that have tons more HP and torque than the native engine. AND, you can add a turbo to them. Think about a modern V6 as well - smaller tranny, smaller engine, easier to fit against the steering box, etc.

·
Registered
71 300SEL, 16 BMW Z4, 58 MGA, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,425 Posts
2JZ, most notably from a Lexus 300SC or a Supra. More than 215 hp in most cases, even better with a turbo. Now THERE is a thought :))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts