Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Mustang Convert,.87 El Camino,09 Avalon Limited,05 GMC Sierra Denali, hunting AMG car.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed LED taillights;and are they plug and play,and are you happy with the results,as to cost,ease of installation and brightness? Really like the rear of some of the newer model cars.Thanks,Gary.

·
Registered
930 Posts
yes you can swap them. dont know which you are talking about. But the 08 amg lights are led. they are about $1000 for lites and brake light

·
Registered
11 Mustang Convert,.87 El Camino,09 Avalon Limited,05 GMC Sierra Denali, hunting AMG car.
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lights

Understood;but will later model AMG lights fit in earlier SLs without modification to body or wiring harness? Have seen led assemblies on ebay,which are advertised as plug and play,but none for R230 class.

·
Registered
1967 250SL; 2003 SL500R; 2002 ML320
64 Posts
all SLs from 2003 model on are equipped with LED taillights from the factory.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yours may be led,but my 03 has plug in bulbs.

·
Registered
SL55
103 Posts
I don't mean to sound like a dick but ... who cares? Nobody, and I mean that literally, will ever actually notice or care one way or the other. I'm sorry to bring this out in this particular thread but I think that all cosmetic 'upgrades', 'enhancements' or 'customizations' are silly. Whenever these questions come up, I feel like I'm in the room with my girlfriend having to answer the inevitable: Which one of these looks better?

You are beautiful the way you are!

:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't mean to sound like a dick but ... who cares? Nobody, and I mean that literally, will ever actually notice or care one way or the other. I'm sorry to bring this out in this particular thread but I think that all cosmetic 'upgrades', 'enhancements' or 'customizations' are silly. Whenever these questions come up, I feel like I'm in the room with my girlfriend having to answer the inevitable: Which one of these looks better?

You are beautiful the way you are!

:)
Agreed;your opinion and you're entitled to it.Opinions kinda like rectums;everybody has one and they're all different.Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG V-Max 2003
37 Posts
Isn't main part already LED in the rear lights?! My 2003 SL55 has Position and Brake light LED only indicator and reverse is bulb.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 Bril. Silver/Red; 1981 380SL Royal Blue/Navy Top. 2013 GLK350 Silver
48 Posts
Just traded my 2004 "red" tail lights for 2007 tail lights. It took me 2.5 hours thanks to instructions found on this forum. Really great detail and excellent pictures! The only problem I had was finding the "black box" on the driver's side. Mine is grey. The plug is upside down, but not a problem. The new lights really showoff the SL. I am very happy.

·
Registered
sl500
137 Posts
I agree with Thelos, all 2003-2009 have leds in the rear taillights, most are on the bottom and are individually linked to each other with tape wire, however there are also bulbs in there also. Yes, I did replace my 2003 tails with the 2008 AMG tails and they work fine. You just have to invert the connector, paid $ 250.00 for the set ( used). Yes, I know I stole them at that price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts