Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think a new hood would be ideal, but that's an expensive (and relatively rare) fix. There's a nice SEC hood that just landed in a local yard here, but getting it to Dallas would be prohibitively expensive (and it probably wouldn't arrive in pristine condition).

I've seen many grilles that have been repaired by various methods. I'd take it in to a good body shop and get their opinion.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It was 199, but repainted. Looks OK, but little bits of overspray and some marginally sloppy masking jobs. What might you need from this car?? PM me if I can help.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
No body shop for me. This is strictly a DIY kinda car. But if it can be welded, I'll take it to one of the few welding shops that are near where I store my cars.
I think welding can be done, but I am no expert. Good luck with getting her fixed up!

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
tigging is an art, esp on a hood where excess heat can really tweak things...

Worst case you can try it..I've got a cracked hood here, but I've also got two Good hoods so it will likely be sitting for a While yet..;-)

jono

·
Registered
38 Posts
It can be TIG welded

I had mine TIG repaired and it worked perfectly, with a filler suitable for 6061 ie common aluminum.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Just get a good used one from the yards. You'll be a lot happier with the end result, and it will only cost you maybe $100-200. Painting will be your only other expense, but I think patching an aluminum hood will never be right.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hood was broken on my 560SEC and I sold my last two spares. The other week it got worse when I slammed the hood down so I thought I would hit up my local welding shop to see if they could help. Today I stopped by a guy down the road from me and he said that if I clean it up, he can tig it for $40.

I ground down the paint and filler and also some bondo that was used in a prior repair and took it over to them. It took them about 30 mins to weld up two spots.

It will take me about 20 seconds with my die grinder and some 30 grit paper to knock that bead down and then I can put bondo back on and clean repaint it.

I'm pretty pleased.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Following up on this topic, I finally got off my lazy butt and finished up the repair on the hood. I ground back the aluminum welds using a 3 inch 40 grit sanding disc and my die grinder and then filled in the flat spot back up again with filler.

It took a couple of skims to build it back up but it does not look bad.

Then I coated some etc primer over it and left it at that as it started to rain.

As soon as the weather gets better, I'll give this old beat a paint job.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Is she Lapis Blue? Or Midnight? Lapis is my favorite.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Paintscratch.com shows it at Nautical Blue Metallic Clearcoat
The paint code is DB929.
Ahhh. Now I remember! So glad to see you giving that one some attention. I have always had a soft spot for that particular SEC (if it is the one I think it is).

Looking forward to some pictures once you get the paint on.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was the trashed euro with the "custom" interior.
The custom part is now gone and it's got plain old gray leather seats and door panels now. Unfortunately someone hit it in the front fender last year and caved it in. It's a 10.1 car so the fender had an extra centimeter of flare.

For now it has a regular left fender until I can source the proper one.

After the repaint, the next item on my list is a swap for the the crack free dash from my 91 560SEL.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts