Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to restore my '78 240D. This is the climate control box which is currently very dirty and full of leaves and spider webs and deteriorating foam... Has anyone ever fixed one up?

I have an '85 300D donor car for the restoration (interior/dash/engine/rear end...) but I haven't torn it apart yet; do the boxes between the two cars (78 240D and 85 300D) share any of the same parts/components?

I definitely want to keep the manual climate control

Attachments

·
Registered
1977 300D, 1980 450SL, Genuine Buddy 125cc Scooter
252 Posts
My contribution wont help much, but itll at least make you feel a bit better -maybe. Be happy its not the vacuum/mechanical servo chrysler one. Id kill for a cable actuated setup like that. Mines locked in cool mode, I had to transplant a cable actuated valve to get heat. In my opinion, aside from replacing the obvious your ahead of the game in cost and simplicity.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^ HAHA, thanks hoobness. I am thankful to have an early-style one, though it has been through many miles. The heater core I'm pretty sure is nearly rusted away - the previous owner from San Diego just ran it with water (no coolant). It turned the coolant a nasty brown despite maybe half-a-dozen flushes in as many years.

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
I gone through two of them. On the first I tried to replace the rotted out foam seals for the flaps but couldn't find the right foam for it. Ended up using flaps from a euro manual with no AC. The flaps were over-molded with rubber and sealed perfectly. The parts were made in France.

The second one I just blasted off the rotted foam with compressed air. It leaks some air but there is no whistling noise.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gone through two of them. On the first I tried to replace the rotted out foam seals for the flaps but couldn't find the right foam for it. Ended up using flaps from a euro manual with no AC. The flaps were over-molded with rubber and sealed perfectly. The parts were made in France.

The second one I just blasted off the rotted foam with compressed air. It leaks some air but there is no whistling noise.
interesting - I was thinking of scraping the foam off and using maybe dynamat... I can cut it however I want and it will just stick. The only reason I thought of that is because I'll have some left over after I line my car with it. Seems like it will work, and it won't come apart. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
for something as inaccessible as that, i would use epoxy instead of relying on the peel-n-stick adhesive which i think you are describing.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, what's wrong with it?
Ha! besides just being old and having dirt, dust, leaves, and foam blast in my face when I turn on the blower...umm...nothing-ish. I need to replace the heater core, replace the foam, and AC o-rings, lube all the levers and such and give it a thorough cleaning. I was just wondering if anyone has had them apart or have any tips or such for doing so. I do need to fix the plastic mount for the temp and blower dials; will probably just use epoxy and maybe fiberglass...?

On a good note, I thought I had to replace the blower motor, but it turned out just to be a dead mouse that got trapped in the blade and threw it off balance... No signs of hantavirus yet...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Ah, gotcha. It needs a little bit of attention in multiple places.

I've never actively searched this topic, but you can definitely document your findings for us. :)

Alternatively, and this may be more difficult than it seems, but it would be handy to have another unit from a manual AC equipped W123 in case the automatic version has parts not compatible for the repair, but is needed. This way, you get to piece together a good assembly for your car, using the two other assemblies as parts supplies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts