Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering if anyone has ever tried to wire the 4matic system to be controlled via a switch from inside the car. I've done a bit of research and believe it can be done by installing some relays to control the two solenoids (there are three total but I don't care about the 35/65 setting) that close to activate the system. If there is interest I can attempt to document the endeavor.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Well, unlike the one poster at peachparts who condemns a reactive system....the actual beauty of the system is that it's reactive faster than a human can react. Sure it would be nice just to control the 4matic system with just a switch, but I think the design has a lot going for it. The fact that the car goes into Stage 1 from a stop to about 6mph, does not make it a car ideally suited for a high traffic, stop & go existence. Something I have observed & said for yrs....cars coming from that scenario have had a lot of expensive TC repair/replacement and other problems.

I'd sure be interested in this project, but I'm not so sure I would actually do it myself. The reactive system has saved my life many times as I was venturing on really bad, mountainous roads. If I had a switch, it would be on the whole time I was driving these roads. If any of you drive bad snow/ice roads where the 4matic is on a lot of the time however, gas mileage really plummets. That's not a good scenario either.

Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts