Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to keep my 91 but the seats are a real pain in the rear. [pun intended]

Does upgrading to an 02 seat have any benefit or is it even possible?

Does any seat manufacturer make a model that is designed as an exact replacement for the 129?

Has anybody installed Recaros or Corbeaus and used race harnesses?

I'm 6-5, 255lbs. There are inches to gain in the cockpit, somehow. And I could live without power adjustments to gain the space.

Just thought I'd pick your guy's brains before I start experimenting with my money.

·
Registered
SL 500 R
68 Posts
Well, never did it but I once sa a r129 changed (tuned) to the looks of the r230 it didn't look good (the car it self) but inside it also had the r230 seats they are not as 'fat' as the r129 and it looked to have more space, I wanted to talk to the guy that did the mods and waited for an hour but he didn't show up.
Sometime ago i saw the car for sale on an auction, but forgot to call.

I have the same problem as you I am 195 cm thats about 6'4 or '5, and would change the seats if I would have another car to drive while its tuned.

I think its worth a try, If you have the time r230 seat would cost 600 $ in the states so its not that much of a cost.

CHEERS
Michael

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just replaced the seat cushions in my 1991 500SL and it made all the diffrence. I am 6'-2" and 185lbs and I highly recommend it! The cost was $502.00 parts and labor...

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lynns said:
I am 5'8" and I have a 2000 SL500 and I love the factory seats. FWIW, I understand that each R129 seat costs about $2,000.00 US.

What is it that you don't like about your R129 seats?
The thickness of the chair back wastes 3 - 4 inches. I could use that space to unfold my legs.

Lynns, off topic question. Do you ever go down to the shopping plaza on the PCH in Newport Coast? It's the one that they put the Ocean Club in? I stay at the Marriott for 2 weeks each August and saw some nice rides there. I'm looking forward to taking my SL there in August.

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
redbeast said:
Just replaced the seat cushions in my 1991 500SL and it made all the diffrence. I am 6'-2" and 185lbs and I highly recommend it! The cost was $502.00 parts and labor...
What did you replace them with? New OEM units or aftermarket? What difference did it make?

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How are they sold? seat cushion only, seat cushion & back cushion together?

My seat cushion is beat up. Was this dealer installed or at an auto upholstery shop?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 sl500
24 Posts
I would really like to find this out myself. i'm 6'1 or so and find the car quite confining. I also have a 93 300zx and it is much more comfortable. The seat back in the sl seems to be much thicker than needed. I know the frames are quite big since they are designed to take to load of a crash. anytime i recline the back to the way i like the seat is pushed too forward for my liking. never have gotten comfortable in this car (98/500)

·
Registered
SL 500 R
68 Posts
Hi,
I ment used seat's from a r230 are probably 600$ each, where I live thats the price for the whole inside.
They are half as thick as our r129 seats.
I think its worth a try!
cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
The seat is one cushion and so is the back. You can have it done at the dealer, but most M-Benz, Audi, Porsche and BMW dealers in my area send all interior and soft top work to this shop. So, I went there and had my top, liner and seat cushion replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts