Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mechanic told me I might need to clean the injector points beneath the distributor on my 1973 450sl. Does anyone have any pointers on this? How should I remove the distributor?<br> <br> Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cleaning injectors

Disassembly of the fuel distributor is best left to a pro. The normal homeowner however can clean the fuel system out very effectively by using large doses (double/triple+ what it says on the bottle) of STP or other decent brand injector cleaner. Using enough of this will really clean things out and while spending $100 on injector cleaner might seem a bunch... you could not get a tech to disassemble and manually clean it for that amount. Try for a case price.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clean the carbon out too!

I also will clean the carbon off the valves and combustion chamber before every oil change. I have used this method since discovering (back in the '70s when we had detonation problems) how clean water injection left these parts. On your warmup drive before the oil change, route the windshield washer hose into the engine air intake. Go out on the road for a drive and keep injecting water (just enough until you feel it, then back off until it smooths out.) I will usually run about a gallon of water through. Most goes out the exhaust but you will notice the oil is A LOT dirtier after doing this. That is all carbon from the valves combustion chamber. Watch out on late model cars, the oil pickup screen is so fine that you can actually plug it with the junk from your upper engine if the top end is dirty. The fix is to start out with a light flush and do a bit more each oil change. Shine a flashlight on the piston at TDC before and after and you might even see aluminum again!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: cleaning injectors

Thanks for the info Don. I dismantled the distributor a few weeks ago and cleaned the points and put it all back together and changed plugs, dist cap, rotor, etc. and the thing runs great on the freeway, gets about 15 mpg, but at idle it gets progressively rough, which makes me think there's a vacuum leak. So, i haven't had the time to look around for the source yet, but eventually i'll start looking for leaks.<br> <br> Nicholas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts