Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have said in the past, having OCD, I am considering the 2500 mile mark for an oil change. Personally, I feel much better knowing that the oil is changed more frequently than the 13k thing, notwithstanding the fact that Mobil 1 is a pure synthetic. All that mileage thing aside, and I don't intend to start a discussion on the length of time between changes, has anyone taken off the plastic engine shield cover off to expose the cartridge filter system cannister?

This car does NOT use a conventional spin on oil filter but instead uses a cartidge filter system like my old Triumph TR-6. The SLK fleece filter is an insert into the original plastic cover. The dealer sold me a special tool ($40) that fits over the plastic fleece cover to take it off without damaging the fleece cover.

I have a hydraulic hoist in my garage so changing oil is a routine thing for me on all my cars. I just don't know where to start with this car.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
There is a thread with a poll in regards to this....it's rather recent.

I thought that if WE changed the oil, that we would void the warentee....**shrugs**

·
Registered
05SLK350
151 Posts
You don't void the warrenty as long as you can show receipts for the purchase of proper oil and correct oil filters. And you don't have to hoist the car and get under it. Do as the dealers do, use a vacum tank to suck the old oil out through the dip stick tube.

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
As I understand it, there are people who will gladly do this for you in return for monetary compensation.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG - Blk
42 Posts
"Monetary compensation" ??? I usually exchange petroleum-based oil for petroleum based plastic card. Maybe I should try the monetary thing.. like chickens? ...or ????[:0]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts