Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I listen to the iPod 95% of the time and it sure would be nice not to have that antenna going up and down when not needed.

Has anybody added this button to their W124?

I like it because it's stock (not on mine but on the W124 in general).

I could use this wood from another W124 (second shot below).

Attachments

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,388 Posts
Another simpler workaround is to use a headunit that retracts the antenna when the radio tuner is not in use (such as when using the CD or AUX function).

Both my Blaupunkt head units retract the antenna automatically when changing the source and raises the antenna when changing the source back to tuner.

I think some Alpine units do the same.

·
Registered
1996 S124 E220 - 1985 VW T3 1.9DG Camper - 1998 BMW E36 328i Cabriolet
662 Posts
I would love to add that button too. Saves wear on the antenna motor, and probably a little fuel on long journeys too. I also prefer operating a function manually wherever possible - I loathe auto wipers and lights on newer cars, for instance.

I have never actually seen this function fitted to any 124. I did notice one in a 123 once, though. Anyway, I'm grateful to see your pics - and slightly envious! As you have the correct wood part you could make a proper job of installing it too. Again, I've not come across any suitable trim for my car and would probably have to either install a hidden switch, or modify an existing one somewhere. I imagine cutting a new hole would be impossible without wrecking the veneer.

Tim

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Another simpler workaround is to use a headunit that retracts the antenna when the radio tuner is not in use (such as when using the CD or AUX function).

Both my Blaupunkt head units retract the antenna automatically when changing the source and raises the antenna when changing the source back to tuner.

I think some Alpine units do the same.
My Kenwood does that. It's about the only thing I like about this head unit

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
or just unplug the antenna, that's what I did! And just plug it back in if you ever need to hear the radio again

·
Registered
1992 300D 2.5T (124.128) 1999 S320 SWB (140.032) 1999 E320 4Matic (210.082) 1984 300CD (123.153)
177 Posts
I had that switch in my old 1986 300E. It was nice to be able to put the antenna down and leave the radio on when going through the car wash.

Part number for the switch is 1298209310

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm going to put it in the stock location.

Anybody know where the trigger wire for the antenna is on the back of the radio?

I have to pull the radio eventually to mail it to Becker for the Aux in.

The other problem it solves is now I don't have to send original my cracked wood trim piece off to be refinished.

Too bad I won't have room for that JATO toggle!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
IIRC the older W124's used this antenna. It would be a good idea to check out an older W124 in the yard and grab the bits for this installation. I think the cutoff was around 1990 or 1991. My mother's 300TE (1990) has the antenna switch.

I think it's handy to have this antenna. The stock function is that the antenna goes to half-mast when radio is turned on. Even in cassette (factory setting), the antenna is up halfway as long as HU is in use (radio or cassette). Both my W123 and W201 have this.

My 190E's Eclipse retracts the antenna with CD/MP3 use, and extends with radio use. The Blaupunkt in my 300D raises the antenna no matter what function is used, so I use the switch to lower it when unneeded.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Yeah, my '90 has the button. I don't think I've ever used it.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
My Anke also has the switch, and I use it all the time.

Or more accurately, whenever I intend to use CD instead of radio...
Tho I much prefer to simply hear her running.

Obviously a long trip would change that tho... :p
:D

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
I wish I had one. I live in a RHD country. The antenna is on the same side as for LHD countries. This means that the antenna is on the same side as the footpath (side walk) and is susceptible to the wiles of those hoons walking past that like to sabotage antennas on European cars. It also means that sidewalk trees and shrubs get to rip the antenna in half while you are attempting to parallel park.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
Doesn't it retract when it's parked (turned off) Ivan?
I have a high end Pioneer audio unit in the car. For some reason the antenna goes up, however will not go down again after the unit is switched off.
My car is a Grey Japanese import. It has a Japanese antenna in it rather than a Hirschman.

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a high end Pioneer audio unit in the car. For some reason the antenna goes up, however will not go down again after the unit is switched off.
My car is a Grey Japanese import. It has a Japanese antenna in it rather than a Hirschman.
How is the antenna different?

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
Perhaps the antenna itself is just wired wrong?
:confused:

Of course there are variations, but
the antenna should have a constant source,
and the 'trip' source for the relay to run it up...
once the relay lets go... the constant power brings it back down till that branch is opened...

I know Im restating the obvious here, but if it helps someone.... :rolleyes:
:D

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,547 Posts
IIRC the older W124's used this antenna. It would be a good idea to check out an older W124 in the yard and grab the bits for this installation. I think the cutoff was around 1990 or 1991. My mother's 300TE (1990) has the antenna switch.

I think it's handy to have this antenna. The stock function is that the antenna goes to half-mast when radio is turned on. Even in cassette (factory setting), the antenna is up halfway as long as HU is in use (radio or cassette). Both my W123 and W201 have this.

My 190E's Eclipse retracts the antenna with CD/MP3 use, and extends with radio use. The Blaupunkt in my 300D raises the antenna no matter what function is used, so I use the switch to lower it when unneeded.
That signature pic makes me want a clean Euro W123 badly.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts