Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83' 300d
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i have a vac leak in my ignition switch vacuum valve. It's a moderate sized leak.
Obviously, the trans shifting is dictated by vacuum power. This leak that i have is enough to cause my shifts to be kinda harsh, but not super abrupt and harsh. The shifts aren't really late either.
Does this condition cause excessive wear on my transmission?

My logic says that faster, harsher shifts are actually better for your transmission b/c there's no flaring or excessive wearing on the clutch packs during shifting. Is this true? Am i burning out my trans by having it this way?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
So, i have a vac leak in my ignition switch vacuum valve. It's a moderate sized leak.
Obviously, the trans shifting is dictated by vacuum power. This leak that i have is enough to cause my shifts to be kinda harsh, but not super abrupt and harsh. The shifts aren't really late either.
Does this condition cause excessive wear on my transmission?

My logic says that faster, harsher shifts are actually better for your transmission b/c there's no flaring or excessive wearing on the clutch packs during shifting. Is this true? Am i burning out my trans by having it this way?
Yes, harsh shifts can cause excessive wear.

Flaring just causes a different type of wear.

Just fix the problem as soon as you can.

Transmission Vacuum and adjustments
Mercedes-Benz Transmission, Steve Brotherton, ImportCar, February 2002

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
589 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but in the meantime, keep your fan on. I had the same problem when the climate control is set to off. When I put it in vent mode, the problem went away.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Any machine that suffers from hard impacts (shifting or whatever) is most likely going to fail faster than a similar machine that does the same job gracefully!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts