Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped the car off at the dealership and had them check on the harmonic balancer(I did not receive any letter). They checked the VIN and said my ML was not part of the fix but found that the Harmonic Balancer was coming apart. So they are going to fix that damn thing.

I also told them there were some noise coming from the car when in motion. They came back and told me it was the center bearings and needed to be fixed. Now I don't want to get stranded somewhere in the middle of the night. Asked the SA about the price and he said it was going to be less then $700. The ML is being worked on as we speak but is that a price?

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
Tatnhu - 4/22/2005 6:34 AM

Just dropped the car off at the dealership and had them check on the harmonic balancer(I did not receive any letter). They checked the VIN and said my ML was not part of the fix but found that the Harmonic Balancer was coming apart. So they are going to fix that damn thing.

I also told them there were some noise coming from the car when in motion. They came back and told me it was the center bearings and needed to be fixed. Now I don't want to get stranded somewhere in the middle of the night. Asked the SA about the price and he said it was going to be less then $700. The ML is being worked on as we speak but is that a price?
The harmonic balancer on my '98 is being replaced this morning, as well--but it was covered by the service campaign. There was no apparent degradation to it, though.

$700 sounds like a lot, but at $100/hour (my dealer's labor rate) it adds up quickly.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are replacing the center bearings as well as the for harmonic balancer. I'm not sure what is entailed in replacing the center bearings, but must be at least a couple of hours if they are charging somewhere in the $600's. I'm just trying to imagine if this is a simple job or not.

·
Registered
Ml 320
66 Posts
Called MB of Miami today , gave them the vin # on my 1998 ML 320, they said it is on the list... but told me to wait for the letter from MB.
without the letter they won't check the car...
by the way the rattle or shake on the car is when you are parked with the engine on ? or riding ? just wondering....

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Tatnhu - 4/22/2005 9:34 AM

l had mine replaced on my 1999 ML 430, when it had 100,000 KM's on it..under warranty...lt is part of the powertrain warranty.....l'm assuming that we are talking about the driveshaft centre bearing...it sounds louder, the faster you drive.....

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct C-Rod. I got the car back after they replaced the Harmonic balancer and Centre Bearing for $654.72. I'm assuming this is a reasonable price coming from the dealer where there is at least 1yr warranty. The car does not make any abnormal noises when driving, but there is a rattle when I step on the brake while in the drive position. Sounds like a loose steel sheet rattling. Any suggestions before I bring it back to the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts