Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I have not screwed up by starting a new thread, I am inexperienced on bullitin board ettiquete.
I just checked with my dealer who checked with his regional rep. The verdict is that MB will not cover the inspection and replacement on any Non US G500s. Has anyone successfully gotten MB to do the recall on a pre 2002?

Bill

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
discap - 4/11/2005 12:46 PM

I hope I have not screwed up by starting a new thread, I am inexperienced on bullitin board ettiquete.
I just checked with my dealer who checked with his regional rep. The verdict is that MB will not cover the inspection and replacement on any Non US G500s. Has anyone successfully gotten MB to do the recall on a pre 2002?

Bill
You need to go after the importer, (low volume) manufacturer and seller of the truck. All three entities are one in the same - Europa International in Santa Fe, NM.

They sold those trucks for US$135,000.00 apiece; and are now claiming that MB Service Campaigns are not their responsibility. And they want us to continue to buy repair parts from them!?!![:(!]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
saigonsmuggler - 4/11/2005 8:50 PM

Does anyone know the cost to repair it?? It seems like a simple operation.
Part is around $80-100. Labor? - 2-3 hrs and special tools are required. Loosening the fastening nut requires a 4-5 ft breaker bar; and a lot of stuff has toi be removed to access it.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
DUTCH - 4/11/2005 7:58 PM
Part is around $80-100. Labor? - 2-3 hrs and special tools are required. Loosening the fastening nut requires a 4-5 ft breaker bar; and a lot of stuff has toi be removed to access it.
Ouch! Europa should pay for this! I guess that they have a small profit margin to maintain.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
saigonsmuggler - 4/11/2005 9:01 PM

Ouch! Europa should pay for this! I guess that they have a small profit margin to maintain.
I certainly agree; but you know that the margin is so small on a $135,000.00 truck as to make it somewhat difficult to afford to do so.

Maybe, if enough Europa G500 owners contact them, they'll relent; although I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
yeah, i doubt they'll change their tune unless there's a lawsuit on their desk. If i understand it correctly, the folks that own europa didn't see a penny of the profits associated with the original sticker price. That guy is out of the picture and "chillin' like a villain" with the money in the bank now... perhaps the expression holds some truth at this point.

Do the dealerships get reimbursed through mbusa and they figure mbusa wont get reimbursed for a europa truck?...

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
ewalberg - 4/11/2005 9:42 PM

Do the dealerships get reimbursed through mbusa and they figure mbusa wont get reimbursed for a europa truck?...
There is no way a Benz dealer will be reimbursed for a Europa truck- the VIN indicates it is a Europa International product- this unfortunately also seems to be the case with my Puch (although under the hood it says Mercedes.)

The repair bill does not seem totally outlandish (provided Dutch's calculations are right-) its about the price of a 'B' lube service- I had thought it would be in the 1000s.

Until I can get someone to look at the installed part # (again, thanks Dutch), I wondered what's the symptoms that this thing is a problem? Vibration? How long would one have before the onset of Serious problems? Thanks,
m

·
Registered
2000 G500
58 Posts
I took mine in today for a Service B and asked my mechanic to check the part number on the HB. He couldn't find the number anywhere on the part. He used a mirror and flashlight and supposedly looked for 30-40 minutes. It didn't seem that it was on the pulley part next to the groove where the belt goes (like the photo that was posted in the other thread). I plan to check it out further. I'm getting ready for a trip in a week and would really prefer no surprises like this. My mechanic did say that they had replaced several on E320's with the straight and V engines. Another friend with a 2001 E430 said the E forums have been buzzing about this and it seems to be more prevalent in the 6 and not the 8. Can anyone substantiate that? I have not checked the other forums myself.

I called Europa yesterday and their response was that they gave all the VIN info to MBUSA when they bought the distribution back. As a result, MBUSA would be contacting Europa owners about the part. That sounded somewhat questionable to me. Europa also felt a 99% chance that their cars would not have the bad part since the G's were really European. Would that matter? As mentioned earlier, Europa's position seems to be one of no responsibility in the matter.

I guess the only way to find out for sure is to check it out thoroughly and go from there. My mechanic suggested checking it at each oil change, but that probably won't work for me. Like everyone else, I would rather find out for sure now instead of later.

Also, does anyone know what the proper replacement part number is?

I will keep everyone posted if I make any progress.

Danny

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Can you drive your G-Wagen across the border to Canada or Mexico???
Just a thought... [;)][;)][;)]
After all, Canada has over 900 of them in thier military...

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
If they say the have given over the vin information to MBUSA that's fine, then they should have a contact we can bother to ensure that they are actually looking into the matter for us because i would also have 99% confidence that they've put the info in a circular file since our vins don't come up in their system... unless we just have to give them the "converted" vin.

I can bug them about some contact info, but if someone is already talking to them, they may not need a 250th cold call...

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Braingears - 4/11/2005 10:50 PM

Can you drive your G-Wagen across the border to Canada or Mexico???
Just a thought... [;)][;)][;)]
After all, Canada has over 900 of them in thier military...
They don't have the M112 or M113 engine.

·
Registered
2000 G500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a quote from my dealer of about $250 to R&R. I am scheduled for tomorrow. I am not driving it right now because I am a little worried about a vibration and noise I have been experiencing. See the thread on "Strange Noise" I will let you know the results of my trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
2000 G500
290 Posts
DISCAP, If it's not too much trouble could you share the part numbers from your print out when they are done along with the part number of the OLD dampner.

All, FWIW.

I've determined mine to be A112 035 09 00. Not a problem one (at least for now and based on some Benz mechs opinions, it's a matter of time due to the design) Maybe with some luck no one else will be impacted. I am however going to add an inspection of the rubber section and its mating to my routine underhood inspections.

I figured out a fairly easy way to see the numbers on the dampner. Open the hood, remove the forward section of the engine cover and get your eyeball on the dampner. Now look at the right side of the dampner and you will note a wide open area that is not incumbered by the serpentine belt (left and right will be referenced against you, not the vehicle). Using a telescoping mirror, snake your hand with the mirror around from the right on the outside of the upper radiator hose. There is a decent amount of room. Position the mirror. Now shine the light with your left hand onto the mirror and inspect the back portion of the entire right side. See pictures in the URL (at the end). You can look at the bottom too. You know your close when you see the timing marks. If you don't see it, clear everything out, start and stop the engine. My guess is that within 2-3 start/stop cycles you'll see it on the right side. This would be a good time to not let the little one help dad from the cockpit ("gee, I'm going to turn the key just like my Dad.......")

Picture of a bad one (lucky gent in that it was caught before failure)
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=63512&page=26&pp=15&highlight=112+035+09+00

Picture of how my 2000 G500 dampner part number is laid out http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=63512&page=6&pp=15&highlight=112+035+09+00

·
Registered
2000 G500
290 Posts
My under the hood checkup

All per WIS Service Sheet (about 5 pages worth for the entire vehicle):
Engine compartment:

Routine (First fillup of the month)
Poly V-belt condition and damage (carry spare in truck)
Leaking assemblies, out of place lines etc
Brake fluid level
Antifreeze coolant level
Windshield washing fluid level
Oil level
power steering fluid level
Inspect dampner (new)

ASSYST frequency or as recommended by manual;
change oil and filter
replace brake fluid
replace tranny fluid (my decision)
replace antifreeze
lube joints of engine control system, check for freedom of movement
lube hood hinges and safety hook
replace airfilters

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Thanks JR!!

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Thanks for nice coverage, JR

What a crock, that guy's mechanic saying the HB is supposed to be replaced every 80k miles! I'd ask where it says that in the maintenance schedule. HB on my 280GE is original with 320k miles on it. When you start hearing crap like that from the MB mechanics, it's time to buy a Chevy.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
JR-
Thanks for the great tutorial- Its like playing roulette - 6 cranks and still not visible (4 times it stopped in the same place). Visually I didn't see any problems with the rubber, so at least I'm not paranoid (until I see the part #).
m

1 - 20 of 26 Posts